League executives talk ‘Melo, say he’s not the alpha dog on a title team

Nov 21, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT

carmelo Antnony Getty Images

The New York Knicks No. 1 offseason goal: re-sign Carmelo Anthony.

That is also goal No. 2, 3, and 4. Maybe 5 as well.

To do that they are going to sell hope — they have no cap space this summer, no draft pick in 2014, they have to sell him that in 2015 (when Andrea Bargnani and Tyson Chandler come off the books) they can go get another star to pair with him and win a title. If he waits a year (with a new coach?) they can reshape the roster around him.

But can you really build a title team with ‘Melo as your team leader and No. 1 option? It’s a debate in New York and Chris Broussard of ESPN decided to ask four league executives — and the answer was no. He doesn’t have the right leadership habits, he doesn’t play enough defense. He’s good, but he’s your No. 2 guy. This is behind the ESPN pay wall so we won’t quote much, but this one comment from a Western Conference exec sums it up pretty well.

“I love him as a player. I just don’t think he’s your alpha male. He can’t be your No. 1 guy. He’s kind of like Clyde Drexler. As the alpha male in Portland, Clyde never got over the top. But when he went to Houston and was the No. 2 guy to Hakeem Olajuwon, he won… I would love to have him as a second guy. But as your alpha male? He’s not going to win anything like that. He’s kind of like the 2013 version of Stephon Marbury. He’s not as bad as Stephon, but he’s got Steph tendencies.”

The Knicks are going to max out Anthony this summer, and if they do keep the 2015 cap space (this is the Knicks, they could screw up the plan still) they will be a draw because of the market.

However, if you are Kevin Love (the likely biggest name on the 2015 free agency pool) would you want to step into this situation?

1. timberwolvesbrisin - Nov 21, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Have you heard about the Lindbergh baby?

• spthegr8 - Nov 21, 2013 at 4:36 PM

First off, I am not a Knick fan but, I watched that whole game last night & Melo is NOT the problem. I saw a guy giving it his ALL ( All be it I question his shot selection @ times ) & not getting the help he needs from his teammates. They desperately need Chandler back & JR Swish is not a number 2 option, at least on a team that has championship aspirations. I think on the right team, with the right system, Melo can get it done. Just Saying’!!!

• 00maltliquor - Nov 21, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Are you sayin’ what I think you’re saying?

• antistratfordian - Nov 21, 2013 at 4:56 PM

True. JR Smith is best administered in low doses as a scoring punch off the bench. He is not sidekick qualified. He should not be starting, obviously.

• spthegr8 - Nov 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM

@Malt
        Lol. You know it Bruh!!

• zerole00 - Nov 22, 2013 at 11:41 AM

So I’m by no means a Melo fan (still got a bad opinion of him for that sucker punch he threw while playing for the Nuggets), but in the last two years he has really put in the effort. The main problem is the Knick’s roster. Stoudemire is a HUGE cap sink for his role in the team (a much worse version of Melo playing at the 4). Smith is too inconsistent to be the #2 scorer.

I’d say Chandler and Melo are the only notable players in this entire roster.

2. timberwolvesbrisin - Nov 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Kevin Love is NOT going to NY. If he is going anywhere it will be the LAL.

But please, Carmelo is NO Clyde Drexler.

• pbtunpaidwriter - Nov 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM

To say that Clyde and Melo are both number 2 guys is very fair. Their games are definitely different but that’s not a ridiculous comparison though..

• 00maltliquor - Nov 21, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Clyde took his team to the Finals as the #1 in POR with Terry Porter as his #2. Melo has a hard time getting out the 1st round. RIDICULOUS comparison.

• jimeejohnson - Nov 21, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Clyde the Glide was the better leaper and, hence, more acrobatic and athletic. He was also a better ball handler, passer, and defender. His outside shooting was not in Melo’s league, but then, hardly anyone’s is. I’d take Drexler over Melo, although it would be close.

• pbristol2013 - Nov 26, 2013 at 4:40 PM

@jimeejohnson

i loved clyde from the five-slama-jamma days but you’re showing your basketball iq with your post. the comparisons are spot on and reference is more to do with being an all out scorer first do everything guy – which you need to when the title. besides exceptions, show me a pure nothing but shot first scorer that has one multiple titles outside of MJ (which i might add played exceptional defense)

Additionally, you have to sick in the head if youre staying Clyde handled the ball better than Melo. That was at the heart of Clyde’s problem – he would put his head down and pound the ball to the right; everyone knew it. he had no handles, especially going to his left. And, he was a terrible passer (probably due to the fact that his court vision sucked)..

3. csbanter - Nov 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Melo is not a media-diva like other stars in the NBA. He doesn’t pander to Chris broussard or Stephen A. So its easy to take shots at him.

• timberwolvesbrisin - Nov 21, 2013 at 3:13 PM

he’ s not very good, so it is easy to take shots at him . speaking of “shots,” he cant make them at a high percentage.

• drewzducks - Nov 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM

“easy to take shots…” I think that pretty much sums up Mr. Anthony.

• sportsfan18 - Nov 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM

timberwolvesbrisim

thank you, couldn’t agree more. he’s overrated, he’s a volume scorer who only scores a lot because he shoots a lot.

• herlies - Nov 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Speaking of taking shots, that’s about all the man is good for.

Carmelo has only played all 82 once in his career (rookie season). He averages a lowly 3 assists per game, plays defense that will never be worthy of even a second team award, and shows absolutely no leadership qualities.

He’s a chucker. A bulk shooter who scores at 45% clip. The execs are right… a decent #2 option, but this is not a player you can build a championship team around.

• pbristol2013 - Nov 26, 2013 at 4:50 PM

again, i agree, but Melo is probably a super #2. It’s difficult to compare Melo or put him in the same vein as all the #2 because i guarantee he’s a cut above and most teams would take Melo over their current list. additionally, i think Melo doesnt get enought credit for his rebounds and his solo defense isnt that bad; it’s his team defense that sucks because he doesnt want to give up his body. all that being said, here’s how i can see him as number one – pair him up with a real low post option that teams have to respect. chandler is a stud defense but unless youre throwing lobs, he’s a liability on one side of court. Additionally, you need a glue guy to clean up his mess. can you imagine him with a young version of a shane battier. finally, get rid of JR. or as someone else wrote, put him in small doses – probably perfect for the end of Q2 and somewhere in the middle of the Q3. I would also use him in Q4 when the legs are tired – and not the beginning because it’s easy to defend iso plays. Here’s my final proof that Melo is a probably a 1-A star – how is he any different than James Harden. Houston wasnt going anywhere with the line they hand before crybaby came to town and i guarantee you could easily swap pieces and their record would be the same. People consider Harden a #1 even though he has clearly the better pieces around him.

• pbtunpaidwriter - Nov 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I thought a starting lineup of Felton, Melo, Artest, Bargnani and Chandler would have been their best bet and earned them a top 5 seed for sure, maybe even 3 or 4. They’d have shooting, rebounding, defense, passing, speed, etc.

On paper I thought they’re really good. Boy was I wrong!

• pbtunpaidwriter - Nov 21, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I’m not going to call him Metta.

4. northstarnic - Nov 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Steph Marbury comparison is a bit much. That guy was so dang self-destructive (at least in terms of his NBA career) and could have had a whole lot success if he’d just gotten out of his own way. A career as the Robin to Garnett’s Batman? You could do worse – but he didn’t know good fortune when it fell in his lap.
    And nice job squeezing in the requisite dig at the T’wolves’ future. I always feel a little empty on the rare occasion that I read an NBA column without such pointless, negative prognostication.

5. jbeagles23 - Nov 21, 2013 at 3:27 PM

10 of 28 lastnight. When you look past the points his numbers are awful

• antistratfordian - Nov 21, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Nothing awful about averaging 9.5 rebounds a game. That’s pretty remarkable actually.

His FG% is poor, but that has as much to do with his team as it has to do with him. The Knicks offense has major problems right now and its affecting everybody’s shooting, not just Melos. Felton and Smith are shooting in the 30% range now.

The Knicks really could use someone like Steve Novak to spread the floor for them – that would help everybody.

• jimeejohnson - Nov 21, 2013 at 6:53 PM

antistratforian: the voice of reason.

• eugenesaxe1 - Nov 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Lotsa rebounds because of lotsa poor shooting on his part?

• antistratfordian - Nov 21, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Only 3 of his 9.5 are offensive boards. He’s averaging as many defensive rebounds this year as he’s averaged total rebounds over his entire career.

• irvfin3 - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:08 AM

That’s because he doesn’t have a consistent 2nd option J.R. Smith has been on and off. I agree some of his shot selections are questionable sadly.

6. vriv950 - Nov 21, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I love him as player, but this article is true.. the sad part is there’s bunch of evidence to support this. There is no defense to his game.. Honestly who would you rather have on your team? Durant > Melo.

• jimeejohnson - Nov 21, 2013 at 6:53 PM

No doubt about it.

• pbristol2013 - Nov 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM

interesting comments and well as voting for Durant. but lets dive deeper. prior to last year and we’ll get to durants PO performance in a moment – many around the league question who was the real #1 between Durant and Westbrook. In fact, outside of the public opinon which said that he took too many shots away from Durant, many insiders thought he was the better option in the crunch. Then, finally Durant had a chance to proove his case about his stardom. He was miserable and dont give me double teams and missing Westbrook as the cause. All top scorers throughout NBA history scored regardless of the team’s makeup and now he’s a no-show. If you pay close attention to their games, Westbrook takes and makes just as many last second shots than Durant. And, finally, tell me when Durant has even resembled a lick of defens; plus his rebounding sucks. again, people are pounding on Melo, and he deserves some of it, but you could swap players and both teams would have identical records. Durant doesnt bring you anything more than Melo

7. antistratfordian - Nov 21, 2013 at 3:31 PM

A little unfair to Clyde – he led multiple teams to the finals before he met up with Hakeem. And unlike Magic, Bird, Isiah and Jordan, he did it without the help of hall of fame teammates (Drazen barely played, he doesn’t count).

But Drexler was perceived as more temperamental, undisciplined and unmotivated – so maybe this comparison is actually unfair to Melo?

In any case, I think both Drexler and Melo could’ve won a ring as alphas under the right conditions. Some guys get lucky and end up on a team with Kareem or Shaq as a rookie. Other guys don’t start off with such a huge advantage and have to figure out how to win without so much help, and it’s just more difficult.

8. azarkhan - Nov 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I agree with the execs. Carmelo is too cool for school. He’s not going to make the sacrifices necessary to guide/lead a team to the Finals. Having JR Smith on the team only reinforces his bad tendencies. Of course the loss of Tyson Chandler for the season was a huge blow to the Knicks playoff chances. But even with Chandler, the Knicks weren’t getting past the Pacers, Bulls or Heat.

• legend30 - Nov 21, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Chandler is not done for the season, but I agree with you, they weren’t going to beat Heat, Pacers or Bulls regardless.

9. much6in23the24clutch7 - Nov 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I agree that Melo should not be an alpha dog on a team and its time we get another superstar player. Not hatting on JR but he is not that alpha dog player either. Its time to bring someone eles in

• knightrider1755 - Nov 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I could’ve sworn I read somewhere that the Knicks would be title contenders this season because of the acquisition of Bargnani. Knicks fans were boasting that Bargnani would average 20 ppg and would help Melo by becoming that “second option” he missed last season. Am I missing something here? Have things changed? Now all I am reading is “Melo needs a second option”, “he needs help”, “he can’t do it by himself”. Where’s Bargnani? Was he traded?

10. unfrozencavemanlawyer2 - Nov 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM

“I’m shocked that people don’t think Melo is the lead guy an on NBA championship team.” Said No One Ever.

11. mackcarrington - Nov 21, 2013 at 4:47 PM

The only Western Conference exec that has been around long enough to recall Drexler is probably Kupchak.
    perhaps Popovich too. I think he was a GM in those days.

• antistratfordian - Nov 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM

You can recall Drexler without having been a GM then. That is possible.

• mackcarrington - Nov 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Yes, I guess a ball boy from those days could have made it to an executive position by now. It is possible.

• antistratfordian - Nov 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Or… anybody. I don’t know why you assume that he had to have been a GM – or in the league at all back then – in order to remember Clyde Drexler.

• mackcarrington - Nov 21, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Well Anti– I was only speculating… if that’s OK with you.
        Who do YOU think said the quote?

• antistratfordian - Nov 22, 2013 at 2:57 AM

It’s not okay with me, no. It doesn’t matter who said the quote.

12. 00maltliquor - Nov 21, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I totally agree. However, with what is considered a “max” player nowadays, he’s definitely a max player. But a championship caliber #2.

• jimeejohnson - Nov 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM

00maltliquor: as always, I salute your astute commentary. And I love malt liquor!

13. cruzan80 - Nov 21, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Melo needs a better 2nd option to play alongside him….period. J.R. Smith is NOT the answer. The Knicks had the right idea when bringing him in to play alongside Amare but Amare’s injuries haven’t allowed that to ever get off the ground. These are facts that we all know but somehow the media & I guess these executives love taking shots at a guy who is NOT the problem on his team. The Knicks are a flawed team…simple as that. That’s managements problem…not Melo’s.

Lemme ask this…How many chips did the Lakers win with Kobe after Shaq & before Pau??? How many chips did the Celtics win with just Pierce before KG & Ray Allen showed up??? How many chips did the heat win with Wade after Shaq & before LBJ showed up??? How many playoff rounds did the Thunder win with just Durrant before Westbrook showed up???

The one time Melo had a true #2 with him (Chauncey Billups 1st season in Denver) he made it to the WCF losing to the eventual champion Lakers. I mean let’s just be real here people. The guy plays with “ok” players at best & gets killed for it. He’s no different from any other “star” in this league. He’s a batman with no robin & until the Knicks fix that he’ll just have to continue to get the blame for everything I guess. One player has NEVER won the title. The closest thing we saw to that was Iverson’s Sixers….who lost in 5 BTW. It’s not realistic. Why else did the best player on the planet today bolt to join not one, but two other prolific all stars down in Miami after playing in the very same role Melo is in now???

You ain’t gotta be a fan of Melo or the Knicks to know this man….stop the hypocrisy.

• sportsfan18 - Nov 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Hey Cruz,

This time you won’t be able to say I’m hating on Melo and the Knicks because I’m NOT going to offer my opinion to you here in my response to you.

BUT, I will copy and paste what some of the OTHER smart posters on here have said in response to this article.

timberwolvesbrisin – Nov 21, 2013 at 3:13 PM

drewzducks – Nov 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM
      “easy to take shots…” I think that pretty much sums up Mr. Anthony.

jbeagles23 – Nov 21, 2013 at 3:27 PM
      10 of 28 lastnight. When you look past the points his numbers are awful

vriv950 – Nov 21, 2013 at 3:29 PM

unfrozencavemanlawyer2 – Nov 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM

drewzducks – Nov 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM
      I’d have to say that the league executives are 100% wright !

And if I’d come back here in a few more hours, I’m sure many more individuals who get it will have posted similar comments as these fine people above have too.

• cruzan80 - Nov 21, 2013 at 6:47 PM

So instead of giving me YOUR usual hating opinions you gave the opinions of OTHER (see I can use caps too) haters. Good job buddy…real sharp. Here’s my response for you the other “smart” posters….LOL…that was the best part of your post….anyway….I digress….My comment was filled with facts…..unlike anything you just copied & pasted. What I said about the history of all those players & teams I mentioned are FACT…not an opinion. But I get it man…you hate Carmelo….what else are you gonna do…acknowledge fact? Nah! Imma check back in a couple hours too…that should give you enough time to come back with another smart response….I know copying & pasting can be tedious.

• jimeejohnson - Nov 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM

“Apes will never kill apes.” How come humans don’t get it? To say Melo isn’t very good is to hate, because obviously he’s one of the top players in the game, today. He’s no Magic, Larry Legend, or The Mahn MJ, but he doesn’t suck except to the haters.

• sportsfan18 - Nov 21, 2013 at 7:31 PM

And Cruz, many other times previously I’ve listed facts such as the fact that he’s only in 201st place on the all time true shooting percentage list in the NBA.

I’ve listed how many shots it took him last yr to lead the league in scoring and compared him to Durant’s numbers who were much better.

So I’ve used facts too, many times.

Melo scores a lot because he shoots a lot. On top of being a volume scorer, he also plays poor defense.

• cruzan80 - Nov 21, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Yep, you sure did….and I promptly pointed out the fact you conveniently left out…..Durant’s teammate….Russell Westbrook….who takes & makes damn near just as many shots as Melo does. Which brings it right back to my point….he shoots a lot because he has to shoot a a lot. Who else is gonna do it??? Do you believe Felton is just as talented as Westbrook & Melo is just holding back?? You believe Iman Shumpert is just as good D. Wade but because of Melo we’ll just never know right??? GTFOH man. Durant doesn’t have to carry that pressure of being the soul offensive option on his team & when we did actually get a chance to see what he would look like if he did,(last seasons playoffs) he went from 18.4 FGA per game to 22.2 FGA per game (Melo averaged 22.4) & took the thunder just as far as Melo took the Knicks…the 2nd round. Even your “facts” are just more hate in disguise. Tell the whole story…not just some of it. It’s not rocket science man. Just basketball. Look at Monta Ellis’s FG% this year so far vs any other year through out his career….it’s sky rocketed. Know why??? One word…..DIRK. when you play with another star who other teams defense must pay just as much attention to as you …it makes the game easier. Yes, Melo is more of a scorer than a facilitator….this doesn’t make him garbage or unable to win a ch or any of that other ignorant nonsense that was said about MJ before Pippen & Kobe before Pau. It was stupid then and it’s stupid now.

• cruzan80 - Nov 22, 2013 at 7:50 AM

And Sportsfan, since you love using Durant’s stats from last year so much to make your point about how much Melo sucks. I took the liberty of using some more of Durant’s stats to make my point as to why your nothing but a Melo/Knicks hater…..an actual FAIR comparison….one that doesn’t include the effect of Russell Westbrook…their rookie seasons. I got this from this site called ESPN.COM just in case you were wondering http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3202/kevin-durant. Feel free to go look at it yourself.

Durant’s 1st season:
        80 games started
        39.0 minutes per game
        18.8 FGA PER GAME
        20.3 PPG

Anthony’s 1st season:
        82 games started
        36.5 minutes per game
        17.9 FGA PER GAME
        21.0 PPG

Again, this isn’t my opinion homie….these are FACTS. And for anyone else who reads this, it’s no knock at Durant in any shape or form…he’s a beast & one of my favs. The point of this is just to show Mr. “sportsfan” here that facts will always trump hating opinions like his. “He scores a lot because he shoots a lot.” Word??? Then explain why Durant shot it more times per game & played more minutes per game than Melo yet averaged less PPG than Melo in their respectful rookie seasons genius???

• bougin89 - Nov 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Sportsfan,

I get your stats argument against Carmelo but just because he isn’t at Durant or Lebron’s level doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player. Give it a rest man. He isn’t incredibly efficient but not all players are. If Cruzan80 said he was as good as Durant than I would totally agree with you but did he ever say that?

• fanofevilempire - Nov 21, 2013 at 6:47 PM

you had me @ Melo.
      well said.
      Knickerbocker fan in Brooklyn

• jimeejohnson - Nov 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Miss you’re comments, bro. You might be an arrogant New Yawker but you’re a real fan and no bandwagon guy. Peace.

• zickhead - Nov 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I hate Howard but he got to the finals with who, Jameer as #2, turkgalou, Lewis? Melo has no excuse his cast has always been better then Dwight’s squad that went to Finals.

• unxpexted1 - Nov 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Dwight had the best three point shooting team in the history of the league…..

• ryanrockzzz - Nov 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I agree. The problem I have is that everyone answers the question about Melo and his ability to win in this abosolute sense, like there is proof he can’t. Proof would be if the Knicks had a healthy Amare Stoudamire. He is a legitimate second option. All of the Tyson Chandlers, Iman Shumperts, Raymond Feltons, and Andrea Bargnaini’s of the world won’t help many teams get to the finals. They certainly won’t help a team who’s best player is a scorer.

It seems that people have a problem with Melo being the type of player he is. I don’t. I have no problem letting him shoot the ball, and give a team a number one scoring option. The problem has been the Knicks brass thinking they don’t have to surround him with better talent in the form of secondary players, and falling victim to a broken down player in Amare.

• pbristol2013 - Nov 26, 2013 at 5:05 PM

SPOT ON…additioally, i think he’s a better teammate than Kobe which is why the LA is doomed for the future…what the heack where they thinking. BTW – this is coming from a LA fan

14. jkaflagg - Nov 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Melo is a supremely talented player, and has shown the ability to play within a team concept in international play…..also agree that he’s not a team leader type, which reveals the real problem: what “star” would he be willing to defer to ? And who could pay max dollars for that star and Melo, since you know that he’ll want to be paid at that level ? Seems as though he may end up as the Dominique Wilkens of his era…..

15. Anoesis - Nov 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM

This article sounds like it could have been written last year. For Dwight Howard. “Stick around a year, we’ll have space for a couple more good players, Bryant will be off the books and you’ll be in position to become the face of the franchise.”

‘Melo isn’t going to Houston, but will he buy the same kind of package? Howard was going to be the guy the Lakers built a team around and he left. Will ‘Melo accept continuing on as the #2, or will he believe he can be the #1 somewhere else? Howard thought so. Now he’s in Houston where he’s become the #2 behind Harden. Is ‘Melo paying attention to that?

• jimeejohnson - Nov 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Great comment.

16. drewzducks - Nov 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I’d have to say that the league executives are 100% wright !

• jimeejohnson - Nov 21, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Wright? I see what you’re trying to do.

• drewzducks - Nov 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Ha…Trolling for bottom feeders

17. jaypace - Nov 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Cruzan is spot on. He isn’t the problem. Any team that gives jr smith the money the Knicks did will never win. This team is poorly constructed and didn’t have a chance even when they thought they were good and this is coming from a knick fan.

18. onlyavoice - Nov 21, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Melo couldn’t share the ball on the Olympic team,
    got stripped as a starter.
    THAT SPOKE VOLUMES.

19. onlyavoice - Nov 21, 2013 at 9:58 PM

All depends on what Melo wants.
    Be it money, he stays with the knicks, if he wants a ring he’s going to have to take way less &
    join an established contender. (NOT THE KNICKS)
    I think the Bulls will go after him, the money can be made & Rose will have his shooter (Westbrook & KD)
    I also think Pat Riley is going to show Melo his rings & a very very small figure. He’ll retain his BIG 3 & add Melo.
    Melo is NOT Going to LA, it’s just not happening. He quit on D’Antoni & pushed him out & “My Ball My Team Kobe” is not attractive (lets not forget the west coast buffoon version of Dollan, BUSS)
    It’s up to Melo & what he wants, I’d get out of New York If I was him.

20. colink54 - Nov 21, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Melo led the league in scoring last year. He is clearly a number one with the right components. J.R. Acts like a 14 year old so he’s not your number two. Give melo a few good wingman who can swing it at he three, I guarantee he dominates in the paint. Number one no doubt. Put him on the heat instead of Lebron he’s there number one

21. vikingapologist - Nov 22, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Love will either Stay in Minne or go back home to LA, no other team has a chance with Love. He was totally dissed by the old GM, David Kahn, who completely destroyed the team with all the lottery picks, he assembled little, but, with Rubio, who needs to be able to shoot better, to become elite, and signing Pec, along with Martin. This team is becoming strong!! Once , Chase is healed up, this team will become quite competitive! The wolves have a better chance @ signing Melo, than the Knicks do love! The Knicks are horrible

• jimeejohnson - Nov 23, 2013 at 12:37 PM

You could be telling the truth.

22. casualcommenter - Nov 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM

A few months ago, Knicks fans insisted the Knicks were contenders because “JR Smith is a 6th man of the year” and “Andrea Bargnani is very talented offensive player.”
    In particular, they hyped up Bargnani as “a former 20+ point per game scorer” whenever a writer here implied he wasn’t very good.

Now, they’re saying Carmelo Anthony is doing poorly because he has “no good teammates to help him with scoring,” and anybody who argues otherwise are “haters.”

Well, I guess it’s okay to say JR Smith and Bargnani aren’t very good. Go figure.

• cruzan80 - Nov 22, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Like all teams in the league. There are two types of fans. The delusional ones who believe their team is a contender every single year & the realist who usually believes it when they see it. The Knicks get just as much publicity as the current champs do so it may seem like they are alone in this but they aren’t. I live in Orlando & if you believe the guys who run the ESPN talk radio shows here you’ll swear the Magic are definitely headed to the playoffs. Hardcore, longtime suffering Knick fans know this team needs another star to play alongside Melo. Every other star player in this league does…why would he be any different??? Why do you think their praying to God for Rondo, who hasn’t even played a single minute this year to replace Felton since this summer??? Everyone looks like a genius when assuming the role of Captain Hindsight….

• jimeejohnson - Nov 23, 2013 at 12:36 PM

They don’t call me Captain Obvious for nothing.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches