Nov 21, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT
The New York Knicks No. 1 offseason goal: re-sign Carmelo Anthony.
That is also goal No. 2, 3, and 4. Maybe 5 as well.
To do that they are going to sell hope — they have no cap space this summer, no draft pick in 2014, they have to sell him that in 2015 (when Andrea Bargnani and Tyson Chandler come off the books) they can go get another star to pair with him and win a title. If he waits a year (with a new coach?) they can reshape the roster around him.
But can you really build a title team with ‘Melo as your team leader and No. 1 option? It’s a debate in New York and Chris Broussard of ESPN decided to ask four league executives — and the answer was no. He doesn’t have the right leadership habits, he doesn’t play enough defense. He’s good, but he’s your No. 2 guy. This is behind the ESPN pay wall so we won’t quote much, but this one comment from a Western Conference exec sums it up pretty well.
“I love him as a player. I just don’t think he’s your alpha male. He can’t be your No. 1 guy. He’s kind of like Clyde Drexler. As the alpha male in Portland, Clyde never got over the top. But when he went to Houston and was the No. 2 guy to Hakeem Olajuwon, he won… I would love to have him as a second guy. But as your alpha male? He’s not going to win anything like that. He’s kind of like the 2013 version of Stephon Marbury. He’s not as bad as Stephon, but he’s got Steph tendencies.”
The Knicks are going to max out Anthony this summer, and if they do keep the 2015 cap space (this is the Knicks, they could screw up the plan still) they will be a draw because of the market.
However, if you are Kevin Love (the likely biggest name on the 2015 free agency pool) would you want to step into this situation?
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 5
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 4
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 2
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 5
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 25