Nov 21, 2013, 4:24 PM EDT
The expectations in Los Angeles are out of control.
The reality is that no matter your will power or conditioning, a ruptured Achilles tendon is tough to come back from. It can be done, but the process is not smooth, it has fits and starts.
Even for Kobe Bryant, who practiced Tuesday and Wednesday with the Lakers, but not Thursday.
This isn’t a setback so much as just par for the course for this injury. Soreness in this recovery is inevitable, but you have to be cautious and not risk reinjury.
This news should put a cap on the speculation Kobe might return this weekend, either Friday or Sunday. After that the Lakers head out on a three game road trip and maybe that is when he returns.
- PBT Extra: Are Pacers or Spurs in any trouble in first round? 5
- All PBT’s first round playoff previews in one place 0
- Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 26
- Craig Sager has acute leukemia 28
- NBA Playoff Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs. San Antonio Spurs 6