Nov 21, 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
It’s too early to hit the panic button with the Knicks. Yes, they are off to an ugly 3-8 start, but it’s too early to panic.
First, they will get Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton back healthy. Second, the offense will come around once those two are back — last season the Knicks had the Felton/Chandler pick-and-roll (surrounded by shooters) as a way to create shots other than just having Carmelo Anthony do it. Third, the defense also will improve with Chandler back.
Most of all the Knicks aren’t really losing much ground — even at 3-8 they are one game out of a playoff spot and one-and-a-half out of first place in the terrible Atlantic. A few wins and the outlook quickly changes.
“We’re frustrated,” Smith said of where the team is mentally, despite most saying it’s too early to panic. “Like you say, it’s too early to panic, but me, personally, I’m panicking. I don’t like this.
“I don’t want to play 3-8 basketball,” Smith continued, in regard to the Knicks’ record. “I don’t want to play 50-50 basketball. If we’re going to be a championship-caliber team and call ourselves that, then we’ve gotta play like that. It can’t be no other way.”
The Knicks played well enough to win against the Pacers Wednesday — that effort would have beat 25 NBA teams, just not the elite few (and the Pacers qualify right now). There are no moral victories in the NBA, but if there were Wednesday night would have been one for the Knicks.
Keep playing like that and things will start to turn around —and in the East right now it just has to turn around a little for things to look much better.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18