Nov 21, 2013, 9:14 PM EDT
The Clippers need Matt Barnes off the bench — he’s about the only guy off the bench who could be considered a plus defender — but they are going to be without him for a couple weeks.
Barnes is going to have surgery to repair a retinal tear in his left eye, the team announced Thursday night. Two weeks is considered the minimum for his return, it could be a little longer.
The injury was suffered Monday night when Zach Randolph of the Memphis Grizzlies poked him in the eye. It was not intentional.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $6,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday night’s games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $1,250. Starts at 8pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the link.
But as noted, Barnes will be missed. The Clippers defense is actually good when their starters are on the floor (under a point per possession), it is when they go to the bench that things fall apart. Barnes helps stem that tide a little, but he can’t for the next couple weeks.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18