Nov 21, 2013, 9:14 PM EST
The Clippers need Matt Barnes off the bench — he’s about the only guy off the bench who could be considered a plus defender — but they are going to be without him for a couple weeks.
Barnes is going to have surgery to repair a retinal tear in his left eye, the team announced Thursday night. Two weeks is considered the minimum for his return, it could be a little longer.
The injury was suffered Monday night when Zach Randolph of the Memphis Grizzlies poked him in the eye. It was not intentional.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $6,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday night’s games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $1,250. Starts at 8pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the link.
But as noted, Barnes will be missed. The Clippers defense is actually good when their starters are on the floor (under a point per possession), it is when they go to the bench that things fall apart. Barnes helps stem that tide a little, but he can’t for the next couple weeks.
- Thursday night NBA grades: Gerald Green just couldn’t seem to miss 0
- After rough shooting night LeBron says he’s “not a big fan” of sleeved jerseys 3
- Spurs get a little revenge, along with season’s signature win in takedown of Heat 21
- Suns’ rookie Alex Len takes to court with #prayforukraine on shoes 18
- Paul George wants LeBron James to be his mentor 41