Nov 21, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
Cavaliers’ fans have a right to be frustrated. Owner Dan Gilbert pumped up this team and the fan base talking playoffs yet they are 4-8 to start the season with the second worst offense in the NBA (94.1 points per 100 possessions). They look like a lottery team. Again. They look like a team searching for an identity, filled with young players trying to find their identities. That’s a rough combination. Dion Waiters has not taken a step forward and is struggling with his shot inside the arc. Their role of the dice on Andrew Bynum is not looking like a long-term solution to much of anything.
Then there is No. 1 pick Anthony Bennett, who has a long way to go. He was always considered a project but so far this season he is shooting 13.5 percent overall and 7.7 percent on threes.
Wednesday night, Cavaliers fans booed him.
He got a little run at the start of the fourth quarter and first he fouled Nene, then he airballed a three. It killed the momentum of a 9-2 Cavaliers run, as the Cleveland Plain Dealer noted.
And then the boos came.
Cavs fans, you paid your money and if you want to boo it is your right… but really? Three weeks into his NBA career your going to boo a kid that was always a project and where growing pains were expected. Bennett is trying, which at this young stage of his career that is all you can really ask. Work hard, get better, become the player everyone hoped for, but if he’s doing the work you need to give him the time.
Save your boos for GM Chris Grant and Cavs management — they rolled the dice on Bennett, they drafted Waiters and Tristan Thompson before him. This roster is what it is because of their choices. If you’re unhappy with the Cavaliers product on the court — and you should be — that is where the blame lies. Not with the rookie trying to figure things out.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 28
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 42
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4