Nov 20, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
If you’re a team looking for a backup big man to soak up a few minutes in the paint, Kwame Brown is available… not that your team should pick him up. Just saying he’s available.
Brown and teammate Darius Morris have been waived by the Philadelphia 76ers, something first reported by Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports and since confirmed by CSNPhilly.com.
Brown has not played a moment for Philly this season, and while that has been attributed to a injured hamstring reality is he likely wouldn’t have played healthy or not. Morris has come off the bench in Sixers this season averaging 6.9 points a game.
The Sixers are eating a little money here to clear the roster spot as Brown was due just shy of $3 million fully guaranteed (the second year of a two-year deal), Morris has a $200,000 guarantee on his deal, according to Mark Deek’s Sham Sports.
Brown has two skills on the basketball court — he is a solid on-on-one post defender against more traditional big men, and he’s a pretty good rebounder. That’s it. His help defense can best be described as clueless and on offense he has terrible hands and is not a good finisher at the rim. And one of those skills — post defense — is needed less and less in the league.
It’s unfortunate he was the mistake No. 1 pick of Michael Jordan because that gave Brown a kind of fame and pressure he didn’t really warrant.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 0
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48