Nov 20, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
If you’re a team looking for a backup big man to soak up a few minutes in the paint, Kwame Brown is available… not that your team should pick him up. Just saying he’s available.
Brown and teammate Darius Morris have been waived by the Philadelphia 76ers, something first reported by Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports and since confirmed by CSNPhilly.com.
Brown has not played a moment for Philly this season, and while that has been attributed to a injured hamstring reality is he likely wouldn’t have played healthy or not. Morris has come off the bench in Sixers this season averaging 6.9 points a game.
The Sixers are eating a little money here to clear the roster spot as Brown was due just shy of $3 million fully guaranteed (the second year of a two-year deal), Morris has a $200,000 guarantee on his deal, according to Mark Deek’s Sham Sports.
Brown has two skills on the basketball court — he is a solid on-on-one post defender against more traditional big men, and he’s a pretty good rebounder. That’s it. His help defense can best be described as clueless and on offense he has terrible hands and is not a good finisher at the rim. And one of those skills — post defense — is needed less and less in the league.
It’s unfortunate he was the mistake No. 1 pick of Michael Jordan because that gave Brown a kind of fame and pressure he didn’t really warrant.
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 0
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 40
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44