Nov 20, 2013, 2:20 PM EST
Chicago has finally started to find a groove — a five-game win streak where their defense has been the best in the NBA (85 points per 100 possessions) and their offense has been good enough (14th in the league in that time). It’s been very Bulls basketball.
Now, the basketball gods have thrown another hurdle in the Bulls way.
Starting two guard Jimmy Butler is out with a sprained right big toe — better known as turf toe — and not with the team as it heads out on a six-game road trip, the team announced after getting a look at the MRI results.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the link.
This is a week-to-week thing not day-to-day, something Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports sheds a little more light on.
Butler is a key part of the defensive glue for the Bulls but he contributes on both ends. So far this season he has averaged 11.2 points, 4.8 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.8 steals in 29.8 minutes a night.
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 4
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 10
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 5
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 8
- Shane Battier on Carmelo Anthony: ‘Last two years I guarded him, he did exactly what the scouting report said he would’ 15
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 18