Nov 19, 2013, 12:15 AM EST
It could have been a lot worse.
Trevor Ariza injured his hamstring last week in a game against the Spurs and there were concerns around the Wizards that the veteran forward could be out for a while.
But the news came back from the doctors and it is good — it’s not structural nor serious and he could be back soon, reports J. Michael at CSNWashington.com.
“I’m just happy it’s not going to keep me out for a long, long period of time,” said Ariza, who fell hard in a loss at the San Antonio Spurs last week, attempted to play through the discomfort and hurt it even more. “It’s something if you don’t take care of it could get worse. … Rest, doing my corrective exercises and staying on top of it. Not let a day go by that I’m not doing something.”
An MRI showed no significant damage to the muscle or connective tissues though there was swelling.
Ariza started all eight games he has played for the Wizards, averaging 14.8 points (third on the team) and 6.6 rebounds a game. He’s a solid veteran on a young team and they are counting on him for stability, and a little defense.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the link.
Washington is off to an ugly 2-7 start and this is not going to help matters. Still it’s early and they play in the “Leastern Conference” — Washington knows if it can get healthy and get a little run they are right back in the playoff race.
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 2
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 10
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 9
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 9
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 42
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54