Nov 19, 2013, 12:15 AM EDT
It could have been a lot worse.
Trevor Ariza injured his hamstring last week in a game against the Spurs and there were concerns around the Wizards that the veteran forward could be out for a while.
But the news came back from the doctors and it is good — it’s not structural nor serious and he could be back soon, reports J. Michael at CSNWashington.com.
“I’m just happy it’s not going to keep me out for a long, long period of time,” said Ariza, who fell hard in a loss at the San Antonio Spurs last week, attempted to play through the discomfort and hurt it even more. “It’s something if you don’t take care of it could get worse. … Rest, doing my corrective exercises and staying on top of it. Not let a day go by that I’m not doing something.”
An MRI showed no significant damage to the muscle or connective tissues though there was swelling.
Ariza started all eight games he has played for the Wizards, averaging 14.8 points (third on the team) and 6.6 rebounds a game. He’s a solid veteran on a young team and they are counting on him for stability, and a little defense.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the link.
Washington is off to an ugly 2-7 start and this is not going to help matters. Still it’s early and they play in the “Leastern Conference” — Washington knows if it can get healthy and get a little run they are right back in the playoff race.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 9
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4