Nov 19, 2013, 1:27 PM EDT
The news was not good but it was what was expected: an MRI on Jermaine O’Neal confirmed a bruised right knee and right groin strain. The backup big man is going to miss some time.
For depth, the Warriors signed Dewayne Dedmon from their D-League affiliate in Santa Cruz, reports CSNBayArea.com.
Dedmon was signed for training camp by the Warriors and was one of the last cuts, then sent to the D-League to develop (which hasn’t really happened as that season doesn’t start until Friday, but they need him now).
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the link.
Dedmon was an undrafted 6’11” center out of USC, he has good athleticism and the body of an NBA center but he is raw — he has only been playing basketball for five years — and he needs to develop. He is strong on the glass already. He’s never going to be an offensive force but they hope he can become a strong, defensive-minded backup center who can finish at the rim. Eventually.
Which is to say, don’t put him on your fantasy team. But he is up with the big boys for a while.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 1
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 12
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 29
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 34
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17