Nov 19, 2013, 1:27 PM EDT
The news was not good but it was what was expected: an MRI on Jermaine O’Neal confirmed a bruised right knee and right groin strain. The backup big man is going to miss some time.
For depth, the Warriors signed Dewayne Dedmon from their D-League affiliate in Santa Cruz, reports CSNBayArea.com.
Dedmon was signed for training camp by the Warriors and was one of the last cuts, then sent to the D-League to develop (which hasn’t really happened as that season doesn’t start until Friday, but they need him now).
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the link.
Dedmon was an undrafted 6’11” center out of USC, he has good athleticism and the body of an NBA center but he is raw — he has only been playing basketball for five years — and he needs to develop. He is strong on the glass already. He’s never going to be an offensive force but they hope he can become a strong, defensive-minded backup center who can finish at the rim. Eventually.
Which is to say, don’t put him on your fantasy team. But he is up with the big boys for a while.
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 10
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 10
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 12
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 9
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 46
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 5
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19