Nov 19, 2013, 1:27 PM EDT
The news was not good but it was what was expected: an MRI on Jermaine O’Neal confirmed a bruised right knee and right groin strain. The backup big man is going to miss some time.
For depth, the Warriors signed Dewayne Dedmon from their D-League affiliate in Santa Cruz, reports CSNBayArea.com.
Dedmon was signed for training camp by the Warriors and was one of the last cuts, then sent to the D-League to develop (which hasn’t really happened as that season doesn’t start until Friday, but they need him now).
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the link.
Dedmon was an undrafted 6’11” center out of USC, he has good athleticism and the body of an NBA center but he is raw — he has only been playing basketball for five years — and he needs to develop. He is strong on the glass already. He’s never going to be an offensive force but they hope he can become a strong, defensive-minded backup center who can finish at the rim. Eventually.
Which is to say, don’t put him on your fantasy team. But he is up with the big boys for a while.
- Report: Trevor Ariza to sign 4-year, $32 million deal with Rockets 0
- Pau Gasol tweets he has chosen to play for Bulls. Only question is will it be sign-and-trade or not. 5
- LeBron James’ contract two years, $42 million with Cavaliers. That doesn’t mean he’s leaving. 18
- LeBron returns to Cleveland a more efficient, mature player that can take team further 33
- Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker shine in head-to-head Summer League matchup 19
- Posnanski: LeBron James proves he’s a true Clevelander 57
- Report: Isaiah Thomas headed to Phoenix Suns in a sign-and-trade 40
- Report: Chris Bosh re-signing with Heat over joining Rockets 89