Nov 19, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
This is not something likely go down in the near future if it goes down at all, so just put this in your “things that could happen after Christmas or close to the deadline” file.
We’ve told you before that the Minnesota Timberwolves are looking to trade Derrick Williams. Flip Saunders and the rest of the front office wants to win now — part of the “keep Kevin Love happy and in Minnesota” campaign — and they know a veteran will help them more in that regard than the inefficient Williams.
So who makes a viable trading partner that would role the dice on an athletic tweener forward who struggles to create his own shot or defend well? Maybe the Sacramento Kings, as thrown out there by Chad Ford in a chat at ESPN (credit to Tom Ziller at Sactown Royalty for finding this):
From everything I can gather, he’s available. It’s just about finding the right deal. Head coach Rick Adelman would prefer another veteran big to fill out the rotation. I think GM Flip Saunders wants a little more value. I know the Kings have a lot interest in Williams and might have the right combination of veterans to make a deal (Jason Thompson? Chuck Hayes?).
It’s going to take more than Chuck Hayes. Thompson is interesting but that’s a steep price for Sacramento to pay, there would have to be other pieces in there to make that work.
Still, just something to watch. There are teams still sold on the potential of Williams and think in a better system he could be a good rotation player. One will eventually bite and make an offer the Timberwolves like, and the Kings may well be that team.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 16
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14