Nov 19, 2013, 11:06 AM EST
This is not something likely go down in the near future if it goes down at all, so just put this in your “things that could happen after Christmas or close to the deadline” file.
We’ve told you before that the Minnesota Timberwolves are looking to trade Derrick Williams. Flip Saunders and the rest of the front office wants to win now — part of the “keep Kevin Love happy and in Minnesota” campaign — and they know a veteran will help them more in that regard than the inefficient Williams.
So who makes a viable trading partner that would role the dice on an athletic tweener forward who struggles to create his own shot or defend well? Maybe the Sacramento Kings, as thrown out there by Chad Ford in a chat at ESPN (credit to Tom Ziller at Sactown Royalty for finding this):
From everything I can gather, he’s available. It’s just about finding the right deal. Head coach Rick Adelman would prefer another veteran big to fill out the rotation. I think GM Flip Saunders wants a little more value. I know the Kings have a lot interest in Williams and might have the right combination of veterans to make a deal (Jason Thompson? Chuck Hayes?).
It’s going to take more than Chuck Hayes. Thompson is interesting but that’s a steep price for Sacramento to pay, there would have to be other pieces in there to make that work.
Still, just something to watch. There are teams still sold on the potential of Williams and think in a better system he could be a good rotation player. One will eventually bite and make an offer the Timberwolves like, and the Kings may well be that team.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 0
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 19
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18