Nov 19, 2013, 6:01 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant practiced on Tuesday — a full five-on-five practice with the Lakers — the first of three days of practice for the Lakers. Then he spoke to the media after the game pumping up the mythology of his near invincibility.
But don’t expect him to play Friday night.
Kobe practiced and spoke to the media, here are the key quotes:
So what about Kobe playing Friday? D’Antoni called it “near impossible.”
The conventional wisdom is close to Thanksgiving for his return. The Lakers are at home Friday and Sunday, and then head out on the road for three games.
The reports from what the media did see is that Kobe was moving well and with him out there the practice was more energized and intense.
Still, practice is one thing and game speed is another (just ask Derrick Rose). Kobe will have an adjustment period when he returns, as will his Lakers teammates as they have to get used to playing with him again. The Lakers need to figure out what their new identity will be.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 10
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 19
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14