Nov 19, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
Anytime you equal a Magic Johnson basketball record, you’re doing something right.
Chris Paul did that in the Clippers’ loss Monday night to Memphis — he had 18 points and 11 assists, giving him a double-double in all 11 games this young season. That tied Magic for most double-doubles to start a season.
Paul can break the record Wednesday at Minnesota.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the link.
CP3 is struggling with his shot some this season, shooting 42.4 percent overall, down from 48.1 percent last season. The reason is he’s not finishing well inside, hitting just 50 percent of his shots inside 8 feet, plus he’s shooting 23.7 percent from three (he shot 32 percent from deep last year). Paul is still scoring, 19.5 a game, but he’s not as efficient.
However his passing and setting up teammates has been amazing — Paul is assisting on 52.8 percent of his teammates buckets when he is on the court. Think about that, he is setting up better than half his teams baskets when he plays — having a shooter like J.J. Redick who can space the floor and works hard off the ball has really given Paul options.
CP3 is simply the best point guard, the best floor general in the game today. It’s not one of those questions really up for debate around the league. He has the mantle.
And with one more double-double he takes a record away from Magic, which is pretty impressive.
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 25
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 1
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 26
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27