Nov 19, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
We’ve written it here before and we’ll write it again — don’t bet on the Boston Celtics trading Rajon Rondo. Danny Ainge thinks Rondo is a potential franchise cornerstone and he’s not moving Rondo for anything other than another cornerstone.
However, the Celtics are willing to deal other high-priced veterans on their roster to gain a little roster and cap flexibility, reports the Boston Herald.
We’ve written here before that despite the lack of interest in trading Rondo — unless they get the proverbial offer they can’t refuse — the Celtics are still active in the market. Sources continue to say they’d love to move some veteran contracts (think Kris Humphries, Gerald Wallace) to put them in a better position vis-a-vis the salary cap.
“I think that we don’t have much flexibility, as much as we would like,” said Ainge. “I wouldn’t say it’s a priority, but we are having conversations.”
Kris Humphries maybe could be moved, he is in the final year of a deal paying him $12 million, plus he can provide rebounding and depth on the front line — he’s played fairly well (shooting 53.3 percent, PER of 15.3) in Boston, he’s just not part of the plan there. I could see a team grabbing him for the last half of the season.
Gerald Wallace… that’s going to be harder. He is owed $21.2 million after this season (at age 31) and other teams will be reluctant to take that on unless Boston wants to throw in a sweetener (or he is part of a larger deal). Wallace brings defense and energy, but he isn’t a guy who creates offense for himself or others. It would need to be the right fit, and there aren’t many places like that.
Expect Boston to make moves this season, with Humphries on the top of this list. Just don’t expect a Rondo deal.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47