Nov 19, 2013, 2:58 PM EST
We’ve written it here before and we’ll write it again — don’t bet on the Boston Celtics trading Rajon Rondo. Danny Ainge thinks Rondo is a potential franchise cornerstone and he’s not moving Rondo for anything other than another cornerstone.
However, the Celtics are willing to deal other high-priced veterans on their roster to gain a little roster and cap flexibility, reports the Boston Herald.
We’ve written here before that despite the lack of interest in trading Rondo — unless they get the proverbial offer they can’t refuse — the Celtics are still active in the market. Sources continue to say they’d love to move some veteran contracts (think Kris Humphries, Gerald Wallace) to put them in a better position vis-a-vis the salary cap.
“I think that we don’t have much flexibility, as much as we would like,” said Ainge. “I wouldn’t say it’s a priority, but we are having conversations.”
Kris Humphries maybe could be moved, he is in the final year of a deal paying him $12 million, plus he can provide rebounding and depth on the front line — he’s played fairly well (shooting 53.3 percent, PER of 15.3) in Boston, he’s just not part of the plan there. I could see a team grabbing him for the last half of the season.
Gerald Wallace… that’s going to be harder. He is owed $21.2 million after this season (at age 31) and other teams will be reluctant to take that on unless Boston wants to throw in a sweetener (or he is part of a larger deal). Wallace brings defense and energy, but he isn’t a guy who creates offense for himself or others. It would need to be the right fit, and there aren’t many places like that.
Expect Boston to make moves this season, with Humphries on the top of this list. Just don’t expect a Rondo deal.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 2
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 44