Nov 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Asik has not hidden his desire to leave the Rockets since they signed Dwight Howard and this was just taking the process a step further. Forcing a trade is not a pleasant process, and there will be messiness like this along the way.
At least we get this gem from Houston coach Kevin McHale when he explained why Asik missed the last game. CSN Houston:
When asked if Asik was under the weather, McHale slowly said, “Yes, he is under the weather.”
And Larry Sanders is out simply because of a thumb injury. This has been a great year for technically true, but completely misleading, excuses for players missing games.
McHale can reportedly stop his amusing reasoning now, though. Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle:
In the team’s daily meeting Thursday in New York, coach Kevin McHale spoke about players stepping up to contribute in any way possible after a tough overtime loss in Philadelphia in which Asik played just four minutes, according to an individual with knowledge of the meeting. Several players, particularly Pat Beverley and Chandler Parsons, spoke. At one point, McHale asked center Greg Smith if he was ready. Smith said he was, and McHale then asked Asik if he was ready to play that night.
According to the person familiar with the conversation, Asik said he would not be ready to play that night and soon met with his agent.
McHale, general manager Daryl Morey and several players have spoken with Asik in the days since the meeting, with Asik indicating he intended to return to practice.
Asik returning is best for all parties involved.
If Asik wants to get traded, he’ll need to remain in game shape and show other teams what he can do.
For the Rockets, who seem intent on trading him, Asik playing will increase his value. Plus, in the meantime, he’s a capable player who can definitely help playing behind Howard (and maybe even with Howard, though that hasn’t gone well so far this season).
Asik missing two games has made clear how far he’ll go to get a trade, and the Rockets have to recognize that. Now, it’s time for Asik to play and to give Morey a chance to find a deal.
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 0
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 1
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 2
- The three biggest All-Star snubs in each conference 17
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 11
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 9
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 9
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 42