Nov 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Asik has not hidden his desire to leave the Rockets since they signed Dwight Howard and this was just taking the process a step further. Forcing a trade is not a pleasant process, and there will be messiness like this along the way.
At least we get this gem from Houston coach Kevin McHale when he explained why Asik missed the last game. CSN Houston:
When asked if Asik was under the weather, McHale slowly said, “Yes, he is under the weather.”
And Larry Sanders is out simply because of a thumb injury. This has been a great year for technically true, but completely misleading, excuses for players missing games.
McHale can reportedly stop his amusing reasoning now, though. Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle:
In the team’s daily meeting Thursday in New York, coach Kevin McHale spoke about players stepping up to contribute in any way possible after a tough overtime loss in Philadelphia in which Asik played just four minutes, according to an individual with knowledge of the meeting. Several players, particularly Pat Beverley and Chandler Parsons, spoke. At one point, McHale asked center Greg Smith if he was ready. Smith said he was, and McHale then asked Asik if he was ready to play that night.
According to the person familiar with the conversation, Asik said he would not be ready to play that night and soon met with his agent.
McHale, general manager Daryl Morey and several players have spoken with Asik in the days since the meeting, with Asik indicating he intended to return to practice.
Asik returning is best for all parties involved.
If Asik wants to get traded, he’ll need to remain in game shape and show other teams what he can do.
For the Rockets, who seem intent on trading him, Asik playing will increase his value. Plus, in the meantime, he’s a capable player who can definitely help playing behind Howard (and maybe even with Howard, though that hasn’t gone well so far this season).
Asik missing two games has made clear how far he’ll go to get a trade, and the Rockets have to recognize that. Now, it’s time for Asik to play and to give Morey a chance to find a deal.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 25
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 29
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4