Nov 18, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
But there might be a Celtics/Knicks deal that Boston officials would consider — a swap of bad contracts.
Chris Broussard of ESPN threw up this tweet.
While C's not moving Rondo, they would take back Amare in deal n which they could unload longer deals of Gerald Wallace &/or Courtney Lee—
Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) November 18, 2013
This time it should be the Knicks that say no.
First off, to make this trade work under the NBA trade rules it would have to be Gerald Wallace, Courtney Lee and someone or something else, mostly likely a pick (unless Celtics fans want to move Jordan Crawford or Jared Sullinger… didn’t think so).
Yes, adding Wallace and Lee would be an upgrade for the Knicks this season and next over what Amare Stoudemire’s knees will let him offer. Those two are not game changes, but they help.
Here’s the problem for New York: Their pitch to Carmelo Anthony on why he stays with New York this summer is based around the idea that “in 2015 we will have a lot of cap space and can get another star to pair with you and win a ring.” Stoudemire is off the books by then, however the deals for both Wallace and Lee extend into the 2015-16 season — they would heat up $15.8 million of the cap space in that summer you are trying to convince Anthony is such a great thing.
The Knicks roster right now seems thrown together without a grand plan in mind, 2015 is a chance to start really changing that. This kind of trade gives you a limited short-term boost at the expense of the long term — the Knicks have done enough of that over the years. They need to think big picture. Which means not doing deals like this.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 4
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 11
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 45
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60