Nov 18, 2013, 11:33 PM EDT
Kick a guy in the face, you get ejected.
That’s what happened with Memphis’ Tony Allen, arguably the best perimeter defender in the league — Chris Paul was driving the lane, Tony Allen leapt and got caught in the air, threw his leg out and it kicked CP3 right across the face. At first glance the referees called it a Flagrant 1 but after review upgraded it to a Flagrant 2 and ejected Allen (who had already apologized to Paul).
Was it intentional? No. Still, he kicked a guy in the face and for my money the referees got it right — that had to be an ejection. Just had to be. That said, because of the lack of intent one would hope the league would not fine or add to the punishment here.
Hat tip to The Point Forward at SI for the video.
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 1
- Monday NBA grades: Blake Griffin shows off his jumper (and yes, he can still dunk) 1
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker ejected after elbow thrown to Blake Griffin’s head (VIDEO) 10
- Report: Phil Jackson’s camp doesn’t believe agreement with Knicks is close 11
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 13