Nov 18, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
No, Celtics power broker Danny Ainge doesn’t want to trade Rajon Rondo. Why would you think that? Oh, because he’s looked at it seriously in the past… well that’s the past. Things are different now; Rondo is the cornerstone of this team.
At least, that’s what Ainge is selling.
After a weekend of Rondo to the Knicks rumors that came out of NYC and had about as much grounding in reality as “The Legend of Zelda,” Danny Ainge tried to squash all the Rondo trade rumors that were out there, speaking to the Boston Globe.
Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said Monday that he has not received any inquiries from other teams interested in acquiring Rajon Rondo….
“Rondo is coming off an injury and I think people know how much we love Rondo, so I don’t expect anybody to inquire, quite honestly,” Ainge said. “People know that Rondo is a big part of our future and that we’re not going to trade him…
“What’s real is, he’s going nowhere,” Ainge said. “That’s what’s real.”
Two thoughts here.
First, I really do think Ainge wants to see if Rondo can step up and lead this team, if he really can be that cornerstone, a No. 1 kind of player. Maybe he can, maybe he can’t, but with him still out due to an ACL injury it could be next season before we have any real kind of way to answer that question.
Second, Ainge always says this but you can bet if teams call with a serious offer he’ll listen. Ainge can say no team has contacted him because these trades percolate up before GMs just start talking to one another most of the time, and so far nothing has reached that level. But Ainge’s history is that he’ll listen and keep an open mind to anything, so to think that is not the case with Rondo seems foolish.
But any deal for Rondo, if it comes, is going to send a lot of quality back to Boston. Way more than anything rumored so far.
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 14
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 16
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17