Nov 16, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Lamar Odom has had a troublesome last few months, reportedly being involved with heavy drug use and being arrested on DUI charges.
But if all of that is truly in Odom’s rearview mirror, then he may have a chance at a roster spot with the team he played for last season.
Doc Rivers and other members of Clippers management apparently met with Odom at length on Friday, and while no deal is imminent, his appearance at L.A.’s practice facility was indeed a bit of a surprise.
Doc Rivers and other members of Los Angeles Clippers management met with Lamar Odom for nearly two hours following practice on Friday at the team’s facilities, sources told Yahoo Sports.
“Everyone was shocked, but it was a good surprise,” one Clippers source said of Odom’s appearance. …
While Lamar Odom did not sign a deal with the Clippers today, sources said the players were under the impression he was signing soon.
— Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) November 16, 2013
The situation with Odom feels very similar to that of Michael Beasley. Both players are talented and can contribute under very specific circumstances, and Beasley has flourished in a limited role with the Heat this season after flaming out in Phoenix both on and off the court last season.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Saturday night’s games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
Odom knows the Clippers, and he is known by the players in that locker room. It may be the only place for him to re-emerge and resume his NBA career, and it appears that at the very least, the franchise is willing to entertain that option.
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 4
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 35
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 32
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 58
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25