Report: Lamar Odom had lengthy meeting with Doc Rivers, Clippers

Nov 16, 2013, 9:30 AM EST

Lamar Odom AP

Lamar Odom has had a troublesome last few months, reportedly being involved with heavy drug use and being arrested on DUI charges.

But if all of that is truly in Odom’s rearview mirror, then he may have a chance at a roster spot with the team he played for last season.

Doc Rivers and other members of Clippers management apparently met with Odom at length on Friday, and while no deal is imminent, his appearance at L.A.’s practice facility was indeed a bit of a surprise.

From Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports:

Doc Rivers and other members of Los Angeles Clippers management met with Lamar Odom for nearly two hours following practice on Friday at the team’s facilities, sources told Yahoo Sports.

“Everyone was shocked, but it was a good surprise,” one Clippers source said of Odom’s appearance. …

The situation with Odom feels very similar to that of Michael Beasley. Both players are talented and can contribute under very specific circumstances, and Beasley has flourished in a limited role with the Heat this season after flaming out in Phoenix both on and off the court last season.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Saturday night’s games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.

Odom knows the Clippers, and he is known by the players in that locker room. It may be the only place for him to re-emerge and resume his NBA career, and it appears that at the very least, the franchise is willing to entertain that option.

1. addict2sport - Nov 16, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Nothing like being rewarded for dedicating yourself to hard work (and smoking a little crack) in the offseason.

• fonefifty - Nov 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM

So I suppose you think it’s better to ban him from basketball for the rest of his life since there’s no such thing as rehabilitation, remorse or turning over a new leaf.

• spursareold - Nov 18, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I think he shouold be banned for his crappy play the last two seasons. He stinks and is done, but since I’m not a Clips fan, I like the move. :)

2. sellahh - Nov 16, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Lamar on MJ & coke is still better than Byron Mullens defensively which is quite sad.

3. mat9844 - Nov 16, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Doc’s prescription: Off the bench with limited time ’til you are all better.

4. abchome - Nov 16, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I’m fine with Odom whatever his condition is. Just don’t bring the K family to home games, or at least don’t show them in tv or the big screen.

5. ProBasketballPundit - Nov 16, 2013 at 10:57 AM

It’s amazing how fortunes change in the NBA… especially when David Stern is involved. This team might have nabbed Kevin Garnett and possibly even Paul Pierce in the off season but a trade gets rejected and now they have Byron Mullens and Lamar Odom. Yikes.

• mytthor - Nov 16, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Oh yeah, Stern really hates the Clippers. Stuck them with the best PG in the league.

The Garnett/Pierce trades being discussed were explicitly breaking league rules. The league isn’t going to just ignore that.

6. MyTeamsAllStink - Nov 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM

the smartest man in California is Bruce Jenner.he finally is free if that self absorbed wife of his.Why is divorce expensive?because it’s worth it

7. peterjohnjoseph - Nov 16, 2013 at 1:27 PM

As someone who was both a former addict (which is a complete misnomer in itself, addiction stays with with you forever), and now works with currently addicts, this just seems too soon to me. I could be obviously be wrong, every case in different, but people places and things are the biggest reasons for relapse. Now, I’m sure the Kardashians could drive anyone to get high, but I’m sure the bulk of his use was related to the basketball lifestyle. Being around money, and people who are willing to give you whatever you want just to say they met you is something that will put you back into a hole before you even know you’re in it. I’m sure he’s saying all the right things now, and I’m sure for 2 hours spewed out every recovery metaphor in the book, but I just don’t see it. Crack is a hell of a craving that just doesn’t go away… and who knows what he was using to come down. I’m sure there were plenty of opiates thrown in, and some benzos for fun. Good luck. I obviously wish the best to anyone with addiction, but, I can’t say I would take the chance if I were a team with someone with this little clean time.

• peterjohnjoseph - Nov 16, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Wow, I butchered the first two sentences. *current addict, not currently. “I could obviously be wrong….

8. pbtunpaidwriter - Nov 16, 2013 at 4:36 PM

They’re already benching Jamison. Do they really need another mid 30s PF who won’t get any minutes. The Lakers don’t need him either.

…AND he’s a crackhead.

9. j0esixpack - Nov 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I wasn’t too pleased when Lamar moved to LA period – far too much temptation there for him…

But I suppose it’s his home now. So being close to home makes the most sense.

One thing is for certain – Doc is a good match for Lamar as a coach. I can’t think of anyone I’d rather see him playing for.

10. fordmandalay - Nov 16, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Clearly, Khloe must be demanding more ‘bling’, and Lamar figures if he can get another seasons pay he’ll be able to buy her one ring or a necklace. I ain’t saying she’s a gold digger…

11. jimsjam33 - Nov 16, 2013 at 8:00 PM

If Michael Vick can play for the Eagles , Kobe Bryant for the Lakers , The baseball MVP player for the Minnesota Twins , then Lamar Odom can play for the Clippers !

12. spacemaker101 - Nov 17, 2013 at 1:07 AM

??

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches