Nov 16, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
When he entered his first NBA game in 10 months since he tore his ACL, Lou Williams did pretty much exactly what he did when the injury occurred — he used his quickness to drive the lane to the right, finishing it off the glass over the defender.
It was a very good sign.
The Atlanta Hawks got a lot more scoring punch off the bench Wednesday night when Lou Williams returned to his first NBA game since last January. He went 3-of-8 from the floor, 1-of-3 from three (a nice pull up jumper was the make) and had seven points on the night.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Saturday night’s games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
More importantly, his quickness seemed to be there in his return. This is a guy who can create and put up points and the Hawks could certainly reuse that.
Williams was happy to be back.
Wow.. Grateful to be able to resume my career tonight..with a win..as fate would have it, against the Sixers. I appreciate the love. Thanx—
Lou Williams (@TeamLou23) November 16, 2013
For now Williams will come off the bench behind Kyle Korver and the sixth man spark plug role that could fit him well. What the Hawks really need is the Sweet Lou of the Philadelphia years — the one in Atlanta the first half of last season didn’t get to the line as often and turned the ball over more than the younger version. If Williams can return to his form of a couple years ago Atlanta just got a very nice pickup.
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 0
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 9
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 55
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17