Nov 16, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
When he entered his first NBA game in 10 months since he tore his ACL, Lou Williams did pretty much exactly what he did when the injury occurred — he used his quickness to drive the lane to the right, finishing it off the glass over the defender.
It was a very good sign.
The Atlanta Hawks got a lot more scoring punch off the bench Wednesday night when Lou Williams returned to his first NBA game since last January. He went 3-of-8 from the floor, 1-of-3 from three (a nice pull up jumper was the make) and had seven points on the night.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $15,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Saturday night’s games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7pm ET. Here’s the link.
More importantly, his quickness seemed to be there in his return. This is a guy who can create and put up points and the Hawks could certainly reuse that.
Williams was happy to be back.
For now Williams will come off the bench behind Kyle Korver and the sixth man spark plug role that could fit him well. What the Hawks really need is the Sweet Lou of the Philadelphia years — the one in Atlanta the first half of last season didn’t get to the line as often and turned the ball over more than the younger version. If Williams can return to his form of a couple years ago Atlanta just got a very nice pickup.
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 11
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13