J.R. Smith fined $25,000 by league for “hostile and inappropriate language” in tweet

Nov 15, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT

J.R. Smith Getty Images

Might call some of my Number street homies an put #Detroit on smash for a min!#DeadSerious—
JR Smith (@TheRealJRSmith) November 14, 2013

We told you that the Knicks’ J.R. Smith and the Pistons’s Brandon Jennings got into a little twitter beef when Jennings questioned whether J.R.’s brother Chris Smith deserved to be in the NBA? (He’s not the only person to question that.)

We told you that the league was investigating the tweet you see at the top of the page, one J.R. Smith sent out (and has since deleted), one that the league didn’t find amusing.

Now the league has come down with a $25,000 fine on Smith for “directing hostile and inappropriate language to another player via his Twitter account, in violation of NBA rules.”

It’s not really a surprise, the league is very image conscious, especially if it is something a critic can tie the word “thug” to. The league has worked hard to lose that image. So Smith gets fined for his tweet.

Now we can all move on. I hope.

1. jobotjones - Nov 15, 2013 at 5:24 PM

There should be a rule that you are not allowed to tweet if your FG% is smaller than your shoe size…

• eugenesaxe1 - Nov 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM

“if your IQ is smaller than your shoe size…”

There, fixed it for you.

• jobotjones - Nov 15, 2013 at 9:17 PM

We all know Smith is dumber than a sack of rocks, the least he could do is go 50+ percent from the field every now and then.

2. chiadam - Nov 15, 2013 at 5:27 PM

After they investigate, can they tell me what the hell Smith just said? My English-to-NBA dictionary must be an older version.

3. nathanbetz91 - Nov 15, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Lol I wish I knew Ebonics so I could sense the hostility in that tweet cuz right now it just looks like a bunch of nonsense

4. moseskkim - Nov 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM

man those are some expensive tweets u know what im sayin… straight fresh yo out the min my homies comin downtown on them tweets

5. eugenesaxe1 - Nov 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Such a classy and upstanding individual. I’m sure the 5 people who can decipher that drivel are proud to have him represent them.

6. rickyspanish - Nov 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I hate that players can’t say what they want. I love me some hoops, but the NBA tries to strip the personality from players.

• mackcarrington - Nov 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Ricky, these players can say what they want. They just cant say what they want where it will be seen by everyone in public. Do you ever see anybody on NBA TV or Sportscenter talking about “sending homies to put someone on smash”
      Are you that young and naive to think that kind of stuff should be for public consumption?

• urodaddy07 - Nov 16, 2013 at 9:12 AM

What!? Are you nuts. Are you saying that if you employed somebody it would be ok for that person to publicly threaten to hurt or harm another employee. That would ok to you? You’re dumber than JR Smith

7. sageandjudahsdad - Nov 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Busted for smoking HERB.
    Threatening other players.
    This guy could be outta da league soon if he doesn’t straighten up.
    Maybe he aught to talk to METTA. LOL.

8. northstarnic - Nov 15, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Dirtbag thug/internet tough guy. Admirable, truly admirable.

9. northstarnic - Nov 15, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Oh boy, dad – he smokes HERB?! News flash: the majority of people signed to NBA contracts do. And the fabric of space and time is not going to be shredded as a result. Get over it.

10. Mr. Wright 212 - Nov 15, 2013 at 6:51 PM

And the union should get Jennings for speaking in slanderous manner for another member of their union, since they want to be so punitive over virtually nothing.

11. gameisours - Nov 15, 2013 at 6:52 PM

These kind of players drag the league and other prospects down. Also problem is this kind of behavior is popular in modern society.

12. zoomy123 - Nov 15, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I’ve been thinking about this since the Matt Barnes twitter fiasco, but on what grounds can the NBA fine someone for something they say on their on personal account during their own personal time? I believe the first amendment gives people the right to say whatever they want without fear of censorship, and fines can be seen as a form of censorship, no? I’m not a lawyer but if I was a player I would try to sue the NBA for free speech infringement.

• mackcarrington - Nov 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I guess I shouldn’t expect some of the people who post on here to really understand what “free speech” is about.
      it actually pertains to a government entity taking away your freedom for speaking. Meaning: Putting you in jail. Any employer can put any kind of limits on what an employee says. Especially if they are public representatives of their company: Pro basketball players.
      As I tried to explain to Rickey, do you really think you can just go on Sportscenter, for example and say anything you want to? Rob Parker got fired for saying “cornball brother”. That was within their right to do that. He wasn’t arrested and put in jail. if you have a job, walk up to your boss and tell him that you are “gonna be sendin the homies to his crib to get down with his daughter and his old lady”. Exercise your right of free speech and let us know if you still have job the next day. “Free speech infringement” LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

• zoomy123 - Nov 16, 2013 at 1:14 AM

I guess I shouldn’t expect some of the people who post here to not be anything other than troglodytes. You could have just said, “Free speech only pertains to censorship by government entities,” and left it at that. But you had to speak in ebonics and, of course, use the droll, “LOL.” Sadly enough, having to deal with people who possess the social skills of a toddler is the norm…

• mackcarrington - Nov 16, 2013 at 2:52 AM

@zoomy: Your original post didn’t give me the impression that you had any understanding of the 1st amendment.
        I apologize if the “ebonics” offended you. With you talking about suing the NBA and all, I thought I had to go the extra mile to make sure you understood what I was saying.
        Since most of the players in the league use “ebonics” I thought that would be the most effective way to get my message across to the posters on this site.

• urodaddy07 - Nov 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Zoo my you’re dumber than bucket o’ rocks? This is a public forum. These guys are employed to sell product. If they can’t sell the product because they can’t keep their mouths shut……..are you following this?

13. 00maltliquor - Nov 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM

@ rickyspanish- real talk bro.

“Number street homies” means he has hood goons on call in the D in the number streets without snitching on them on exactly where they are from.

If you’ve ever been to the hood, number streets are always the most ghettoist. I.E. 18th street, 19th street, on so on. Along with any Martin Luther streets for some reason. For those of you curious.

14. weaselpuppy - Nov 16, 2013 at 12:40 AM

This borderline retard spends $400,000 on an urban tank he can’t even park anywhere….$15K is supposed to be some kind of lesson?

His next lesson learned will be his first since…kindergarden?

#Brokeby37Deadby40

15. dysraw1 - Nov 16, 2013 at 1:05 AM

this guy, i mean you try to be happy for a young man and success i mean he does the cha cha and stuff like that. didn’t this fool learn anything boy talk about blowing up your own spot

16. belleby123 - Nov 16, 2013 at 7:55 AM

The NBA is being too descriptive. They should just fine him for “sh&tty tweets.”

• urodaddy07 - Nov 16, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Huh?

• belleby123 - Nov 16, 2013 at 9:59 PM

It’s no fun when you have to explain the jokes.

17. yuwannano - Nov 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM

LOL! “Come at me bro!’

Pfft! Internet “tough” guy.

Whatever.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches