Sam Cassell doesn’t like seeing guys fined for the Sam Cassell dance

Nov 14, 2013, 10:26 PM EDT

Sam cassell Getty Images

It’s been called the big balls dance among other things, but we associate it with Sam Cassell — you hit a big shot, a dagger, and as you come back up the court you drop your hands down like you are cupping some extra large… um… cajones.

It’s a popular move, something that makes Cassell smile, he told Marc Stein at ESPN.

“When I saw Kobe [Bryant] do it [in the 2009 playoffs], I knew it was big-time,” Cassell said.

The suits in the league office hate the dance.

Do it and you get fined — Andray Blatche and Caron Butler each have been hit for $15,000 fines for the dance already this season.

You can guess how Cassell feels about that.

“Obscene gesture?” Cassell bellowed, shaking his head disapprovingly.

That dance doesn’t bother me, but remember part of the NBA’s core market is they old rich guys who can write big checks for luxury boxes across the nation, the guys who okay the corporate suite. The league doesn’t want to offend those guys (we see the same thing in the NFL).

To me, emotion is part of the game — I want to see it, I want to feel it. This is part of that. I fear the league is going to make the game to sterile in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

1. antistratfordian - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:38 PM

It’s vulgar. And there are kids in the audience. No one wants to see that – especially from Cassell whose face is already quite disagreeable.

2. spthegr8 - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:53 PM

When I see guys do that the first thing I think of is Major League 2.” You have no…….. MAWBLES

• kinggw - Nov 15, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Thank you. That’s a Tanaka/Cerrano thing.

3. 00maltliquor - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I fear the same thing too, Kurt. I want to see emotion too. I want to be entertained. I want to see a show, theatrics and all. If the NBA wants to do away with that, then they need to be constantly fining their goon squad -looking at you, Joey Crawford-. I always called the move the Donkey Balls for some reason.

4. legend30 - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:08 PM

GOD DAMN! Sam Cassell you’re so ugly!

5. nawlinsmitty - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:10 PM

It’s not emotion. It’s showing off to draw attention.

6. drewzducks - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Sam just wants his cut. Me thinks he’d settle for 25 cents on the dollar.

• allday420ap - Nov 15, 2013 at 4:27 AM

Me thinks sam and his martian counterparts will do just fine with their spacecash.

7. mrlitl - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Major League 2 was such an awful sequel.

8. money2long - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:20 PM

when’s the last time any of you has watched a sam cassell mixtape ?

9. frank35sox - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Everyone always says ML2 sucks but it really wasn’t bad. People just hate sequels.

• spthegr8 - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:49 PM

^^^^^ I liked it too ^^^^^^

10. djohnson11882 - Nov 15, 2013 at 12:02 AM

You guys should really invest in someone to read articles before they are posted, I love the site but sometimes it is painful to see the English Language so badly battered.

• allday420ap - Nov 15, 2013 at 4:30 AM

It really seems like amatuer hour around hurr

• peterjohnjoseph - Nov 15, 2013 at 5:07 AM

I completely understand what you’re saying, it can annoy me too, but if you’re going to be the one to stand up and make a case that the sight of someone using shoddy grammar is painful, you probably shouldn’t include a run-on sentence, among other misnomers in your plight.

Oh, and those “someones” are usually referred to as “editors”.

• crik911 - Nov 15, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Hey Pot, this is kettle. Why you calling me black?

I have never seen anyone capitalize ‘English Language’. I’m pretty sure your are a knob.

11. misterdreamer119 - Nov 15, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Sam Cassell learned the move on his native planet where his species….
    Seriously though the guy has a weird looking dome.

12. peterjohnjoseph - Nov 15, 2013 at 4:52 AM

So if they want to appeal to those old men with the check books, then when they do the dance they should just hold their arms down by their shoes to compensate for sagging.

13. adoombray - Nov 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM

The game only exists to make money, and, in its effort to sterlize, you get to write an article about it, so you get paid behind the move too. Let’s not pretend like you aren’t behind the same curtain, Oz.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview