Nov 14, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
It looked really bad when it happened.
The early report is an LCL sprain, however we will know more in the next couple days. The X-rays were negative and an MRI will happen tomorrow. Smith will not return to this game, reported Rachel Nichols on the TNT broadcast.
Just watching it, Smith could be out a while.
Smith had moved into the backup center role in Houston — he came in when Dwight Howard sat Thursday against the Knicks, jumping ahead of Omer Asik in the pecking. This would be a blow to the Rockets rotation.
It will be interesting to see if and how this impacts the trade request of Omer Asik.
With no Smith the Rockets may be forced to play Asik more as a backup center (although in the first half against the Knicks McHale just went small, and that worked well against a slow moving New York defense). It may alter what they want in return for an Asik trade.
We will update this post when we know more about Smith’s condition.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 18
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13