Nov 14, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
It looked really bad when it happened.
The early report is an LCL sprain, however we will know more in the next couple days. The X-rays were negative and an MRI will happen tomorrow. Smith will not return to this game, reported Rachel Nichols on the TNT broadcast.
Just watching it, Smith could be out a while.
Smith had moved into the backup center role in Houston — he came in when Dwight Howard sat Thursday against the Knicks, jumping ahead of Omer Asik in the pecking. This would be a blow to the Rockets rotation.
It will be interesting to see if and how this impacts the trade request of Omer Asik.
With no Smith the Rockets may be forced to play Asik more as a backup center (although in the first half against the Knicks McHale just went small, and that worked well against a slow moving New York defense). It may alter what they want in return for an Asik trade.
We will update this post when we know more about Smith’s condition.
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 15
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 14
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2