Nov 14, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
It looked really bad when it happened.
The early report is an LCL sprain, however we will know more in the next couple days. The X-rays were negative and an MRI will happen tomorrow. Smith will not return to this game, reported Rachel Nichols on the TNT broadcast.
Just watching it, Smith could be out a while.
Smith had moved into the backup center role in Houston — he came in when Dwight Howard sat Thursday against the Knicks, jumping ahead of Omer Asik in the pecking. This would be a blow to the Rockets rotation.
It will be interesting to see if and how this impacts the trade request of Omer Asik.
With no Smith the Rockets may be forced to play Asik more as a backup center (although in the first half against the Knicks McHale just went small, and that worked well against a slow moving New York defense). It may alter what they want in return for an Asik trade.
We will update this post when we know more about Smith’s condition.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13