Nov 14, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
It looked really bad when it happened.
The early report is an LCL sprain, however we will know more in the next couple days. The X-rays were negative and an MRI will happen tomorrow. Smith will not return to this game, reported Rachel Nichols on the TNT broadcast.
Just watching it, Smith could be out a while.
Smith had moved into the backup center role in Houston — he came in when Dwight Howard sat Thursday against the Knicks, jumping ahead of Omer Asik in the pecking. This would be a blow to the Rockets rotation.
It will be interesting to see if and how this impacts the trade request of Omer Asik.
With no Smith the Rockets may be forced to play Asik more as a backup center (although in the first half against the Knicks McHale just went small, and that worked well against a slow moving New York defense). It may alter what they want in return for an Asik trade.
We will update this post when we know more about Smith’s condition.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 0
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 8
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 20
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15