Nov 14, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
If you have skills that are just hard to replace or replicate — say, if you’re a 6’10” point forward who can score and dish — you get second chances in the NBA. And third chances. And…
Which brings us to the case of Lamar Odom.
Odom is out of the NBA right now after a summer where he got popped for a DUI, was reportedly using some hard drugs, checked into then out of a rehab facility, had serious relationship issues with his wife (Khloe Kardashian) and generally seemed on a downward spiral. This after he flamed out in the NBA with Dallas then the Clippers the past two seasons.
But if he could pull himself out of that spiral, the Lakers and Clippers might be willing to take a look and give the 34 year old another chance, reports ESPN.
The Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Lakers continue to monitor Lamar Odom’s progress as closely as they can, and would consider signing the enigmatic free-agent forward should Odom prove that his personal and legal issues are behind him, according to sources with knowledge of both teams’ thinking….
Odom recently began training again with an eye toward making a return to the floor during the second half of the season, sources have said.
You can be sure both teams would be VERY careful about bringing Odom back. Very. The Clippers are 6-3, atop the Pacific Division and with a roster that is starting to figure itself out. Why would you throw a volitol player who brings a ton of tabloid media attention into that locker room? That said, the Clippers need more depth up front (no offense Ryan Hollins).
The Lakers certainly could use more talent up front as well (they are 4-6), but this is a team in transition and would they really roll the dice on Odom as a player at this point?
Because Odom, when he’s right, brings a unique skill set this is not out of the question. However, after the past two seasons followed by the mess he was last summer personally, it seems a real long shot any team would take a chance on him again.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 51
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18