Nov 14, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT
Minnesota is off to a fast 6-3 start with a top 10 offense and defense (as much as you want to read into anything this early).
Think how much better they will be bringing a super athletic wing who can run the floor off the bench.
Chase Budinger suffered a torn meniscus in his left knee back at the end of September in training before the start of camp. Now he has been cleared for light activity and is taking steps to return to the team sooner rather than later, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Minnesota forward Chase Budinger has been cleared to resume basketball activities and will rejoin the team Friday, a league source told Yahoo Sports.
It is unclear how soon Budinger, 25, can return to the Timberwolves’ lineup, but doctors are enthusiastic about his progress and expect him to make a complete recovery, a source said.
Budinger only played 23 games last season due to torn cartilage in the same knee. However the Timberwolves were confident enough in his recovery to sign him to a three-year, $16 million contract in July. He was expected to be the starting three with the Timberwolves, but Corey Brewer has played well and could keep the starting role with Budinger as a sixth man.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $6,000 Fantasy Basketball league that includes Thursday and Friday night’s games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $1,250. Starts at 8pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the link.
Budinger’s last healthy season he averaged 9.4 points a game and shot 40 percent from three.
Whenever he returns, Budinger makes an already entertaining Timberwolves squad that much more dangerous and deep.
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 6
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 10
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 26
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 67
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 23
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10