Oddsmakers say Wizards’ Wittman favorite for first coach to be fired

Nov 14, 2013, 6:51 PM EDT

Randy Wittman AP

It doesn’t take much to see why Washington’s Randy Wittman is the guy many see as the coach on the hottest seat.

His team is 2-6 but with playoff aspirations. His star player is writing “playoffs” on his shoes every game (and shooting 37.9 percent). His team’s owner Ted Leonsis has talked playoffs a lot and said injuries are not an excuse. Leonsis has been a loyal and patient owner, but at some point that is going to end because he wants to win, too. On top of it all the Wizards’ veteran players are frustrated with the younger ones.

That’s a recipe for getting canned early in the season, and the oddsmakers at Bovda get that. They set these odds for the first coach to get fired.

Randy Wittman (WAS) 2/1
Tyrone Corbin (UTA) 9/4
Monty Williams (NO) 7/2
Jason Kidd (BRK) 13/2
Dwane Casey (TOR) 13/2
Mike Woodson (NY) 15/2
Mike D’Antoni (LAL) 12/1
Terry Stotts (POR) 12/1

Corbin leads a team that has gone young and wants to see development out of Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter, Gordon Hayward and eventually Trey Burke (once he gets his finger healthy). If those players aren’t developing like the Jazz front office wants they could make a change, but this tends to be a very patient and loyal organization.

Monty Williams has higher expectations with the Pelicans and they are off to a 3-6 start, but expect that organization to be patient. Williams has had some success in the past and was given a radical roster overhaul, he’ll get time to show he can make this group work.

Kidd? Management hired him without experience, for them to let him go is to admit their own mistake. And when was the last time you saw a GM own up to a mistake like that?

Woodson? I’d rather predict the mood of my tween daughter at any given moment than what James Dolan will do next. Who knows what happens here.

Casey is the guy I would have second on this list. He was not hired by the current GM so he needs to get wins and prove he can make this roster work in Toronto. That said, the Raptors are 4-5 and looked better than that record, Casey will get a little time to make it work.

1. otown32806 - Nov 14, 2013 at 6:59 PM

The wizards need to bring in Stan van Grundy. He knows how to use the talent to their potential.

• allday420ap - Nov 15, 2013 at 4:33 AM

not if dwight howard has any say in it

• 00maltliquor - Nov 15, 2013 at 5:12 AM

50 thumbs down if I could^^^^^

2. azarkhan - Nov 14, 2013 at 7:07 PM

The Wizards should be disbanded along with one of the lousy teams in the Western Conference.

3. thekingdave - Nov 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Grunfeld should be fired for not making a coaching change last May.

• thirdistheworrd - Nov 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Grunfeld should be fired for every single thing he’s ever done to this organization.

• eugenesaxe1 - Nov 15, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Preach it!

4. sire2334 - Nov 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM

WHEN!? Make it happen!

5. tomtravis76 - Nov 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM

If you don’t think Wittman is the guy, then cut ties now. Let Sam Cassell step in and lead this team to whatever they might do.

6. thirdistheworrd - Nov 14, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Secondary headline:
    DMV residents say “No sh, Sherlock”

7. General37 - Nov 14, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I’m a 76ers fan, I wish Brett brown would get fired!!!
    He is winning too many games!!!!!

8. giantboy99 - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:08 PM

No mad Kidd

9. 00maltliquor - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I’ll throw in a darkhorse: Brian Shaw, Mo Cheeks

• 00maltliquor - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Nah, scratch that…lemme throw in a REAL darkhorse…….Tom Thibodeau

Bet the return on that would be lovely!

10. uscoach - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:27 PM

The biggest mistake the Wizards have made recently is talking big about “making” the playoffs. Who cares if you’re the 7 or 8 seed in the top-heavy east? That doesn’t mean you are good! I am a Wiz fan and am sick of the underwhelming expectations. I say go for George Karl.

11. 00maltliquor - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:27 PM

What are the odds on Gregg Popovich?

• 00maltliquor - Nov 15, 2013 at 4:58 AM

…not that I think he’ll get canned, just wanna know the numbers. 1000000000/1 ?

12. showtimefolks007 - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I hope pelicans get stan van Gundy

13. roanboon - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Wow, I didn’t realize Grunfeld still had a GM job. I was talking about him the other day with a fellow Bucks fan, remeniscing about when he traded Ray Allen out of Milwaukee.

14. allday420ap - Nov 15, 2013 at 4:34 AM

Where do I place my bet?

• 00maltliquor - Nov 15, 2013 at 5:10 AM

bovada.com

KH spelled it wrong (what’s new?). That’s where I place my NFL bets.

15. unxpexted1 - Nov 15, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Here I thought the Wizards were going to be decent this year

16. redskinfansince82 - Nov 15, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Those odds seem a bit low to me! pahhahahha!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches