Brandon Jennings starts Twitter beef with J.R. Smith

Nov 14, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT

Brandon Jennings AP

Star players get special treatment in the NBA. Everyone just accepts that.

But when merely above-average players like J.R. Smith get significant special favors, the floodgates open.

The inclusion of Chris Smith, J.R. Smith’s brother, on the Knicks’ roster is a running joke around the league.

Unless you’re Brandon Jennings, whose stature is similar to Smith’s. Then you want to know why you can’t get your buddies into the NBA, too.

That tweet – referencing Pooh Jeter and Bobby Brown, who, like Jennings, are from Los Angeles, but are playing in China – was deleted. That’s why you’re seeing the message through a Holly MacKenzie retweet.

J.R. Smith didn’t respect any of this:

Jennings tried to preach love:

It didn’t work:

Smith is likely referring to Selby dunking on Jennings in a 2011 Goodman League game:

The Pistons and Knicks play Tuesday, and that could be more interesting now. Though if Smith and Jennings hijack the game to out-shoot each other, a real possibility, that would probably destroy the quality of basketball. On the other hand, what would the quality be regardless?

Here’s the real lesson: In a Twitter beef between Jennings and J.R. Smith, the only real winner is Chris Smith, because he’s getting paid. I guess that makes J.R. Smith a winner, too.

Jennings? He’s just yapping and accomplishing nothing, though I enjoy when ever players speak truth regardless of whether it’s rational for them to do so. Jennings not wrong, but as The Dude says… (And I mean that as compliment. I love the jerks.)

1. lmoneyfresh - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I have no clue what just happened here.

• bougin89 - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I’m guessing JR Smith woke up and didn’t remember what happened either. One of those rough nights…

• eugenesaxe1 - Nov 14, 2013 at 6:02 PM

No kidding, I thought this was an English-speaking site.

• belleby123 - Nov 15, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Suddenly it’s become ProTwitterTalk.

2. tuucamaron - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM

@BrandonJennings….that’s a Knicks problem not yours,try to solve the problems on your team first then worry about other teams,globalwarming,the war,the economy etc

3. boscoesworld - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I would like to get into this twitter war but…..I aint speak no jive!! Did I get that right?

• 24thesho - Nov 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM

First of all, no, you did not. Next comment, please.

• topdawg4ever - Nov 14, 2013 at 4:07 PM

That is not beef.

4. fm31970 - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM

So glad Jennings is no longer a Buck. Thank you John Hammond.

• bougin89 - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:17 AM

If I could like this 10 times I would.

• phaden27 - Nov 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Spared no expense.

5. nycgirl765 - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:19 AM

JR Smith is no “merely average player.” Average players don’t win 6th man of the year.
    The “twitter war” is ridiculous, Smith’s brother may or may not be NBA worthy, but you, Dan Feldman, obviously don’t know enough about basketball to report on it… that’s why you are writing about the nonsense that goes on in Twitter while real reporters are reporting on what real fans care about: what goes on ONTHE COURT.

• Kurt Helin - Nov 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM

It should be noted that, including yourself, vastly more people have clicked on this post today then on our breakdown of the Sports VU numbers, first hand account of the Thunder/Clippers game, or a host of other on the court posts today.

PBT writes about what people are talking about. This is what people are talking about. Including you.

• davidly - Nov 14, 2013 at 2:59 PM

His words to Dan Feldman might have been a little harsh and he may have clicked on this post, but maybe because he wanted to stick up for Smith? And maybe, just maybe, people wouldn’t be talking about this so much were it not for its being reported in the mainstream press? Certainly it wouldn’t lead those other stories in click-count if it weren’t here. You know the story about the experiment in which the chimp chose the cocaine lever over food? That’s journalism’s “going with people are talking about”.

• trickybastard - Nov 15, 2013 at 1:55 PM

boom!

• eugenesaxe1 - Nov 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM

He isn’t/wasn’t good enough to start, that’s why he is/was the 6th man. Few teams play more than 8-9 player rotations. In that respect, he’s below average.

6. stayhigh_247 - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Don’t be so sensitive JR, the truth is the truth even if its coming from ol’ run n gun himself. If Chris is still in the league 3 years from now, I think we all will be shocked. JR needs to chill, insinuating that he’s gonna get his goons to do something to B Jennings on twitter is dumb, the league should tax his pockets for that one, especially since he always got cash on him anyway.

7. stephenolszewski - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Calling it now JR goes 11/28 and Jennings goes 3/18 and the game will go down in history as The Chucking Game

• nman087 - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Lets be honest though…those kind of stats were gonna happen with or without this twitter “beef”

8. runthepicketfence - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Good thing these guys can both play basketball or they would both be flipping burgers for a living.

9. cr7tique - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM

How do you specifically say JR Smith’s brother in your tweet and then say it’s not beef. If you really knew how twitter gets you wouldn’t have made that statement. Some athletes shouldn’t be tweeting.

10. trickybastard - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM

This would be a better war if these retards spoke English

11. Anoesis - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I’ve always thought it highly appropriate that Twitter begins with “twit.” At least it reflects truth-in-advertising, something you hardly ever see, even if they probably didn’t intend it to be.

• eugenesaxe1 - Nov 14, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I’ve always called it Twatter. Same thing really.

12. davidly - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM

No matter what you take away from this, I think we can all agree that kids delete they tweets.

13. nygrwy - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM

God I hate being a Knicks fan. Is it not sad that 2015 is all I have to look forward too now

• tushymcspankspank - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Hard to stay strong and upbeat this year as a Knicks fan I agree! Getting Bargniani (what?!), Amare remaining a bloated ship anchor, Metta World Amnesty, Tyson going down and this scrub taking up a roster spot over ANYONE else.

Just hold your breath and tape the windows shut

14. mortalkondek - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Can someone with some street cred tell me what “Might call some of my Number street homies an put #Detroit on smash for a min! #DeadSerious” means?

• trickybastard - Nov 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Even these idiots don’t know what they are saying when they spew it. There are so many dialects of Ebonics, it’s hard to translate.

• peterjohnjoseph - Nov 14, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I’m assuming that he’s saying he’s going to call his homies down on a street that begins with a number in Detroit (probably well known, and rather than saying the street name to get himself in trouble for “name droppin”), and he’s “dead serious” they are going to smash his face. “For a min” could end up being an extended period of time that he gets his face smashed, or literally, a minute. I guess it depends on how many homies there are, and what pieces they’re carrying.

15. phillysports1 - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM

What’s going on ? I’m confuse can someone tell me what’s going on in 2 sentences ..

• 24thesho - Nov 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Yeah, sure. These two young, black, well known and well paid NBA basketball players are having a disagreement publicly in (and on) cyberspace. Is that clear enough for you, or, would you like me to translate a few more exchanges? Oh, I’m sorry that was four sentences, including this one.

16. jaypace - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:53 AM

that means JR was going to call some people in Detroit to make life miserable for Brandon. Usually gang affiliated.

• 24thesho - Nov 14, 2013 at 12:17 PM

But, he’s from another state in the Northeast. The real gang affiliations are the Tea Party Republicans and the others on the crazy “right”. I think you are a bit confused, bro. I’m being sarcastic. I know you are not confused; you are something else. Using some ketchup with that spam sandwich you’re eating, are we?

• mortalkondek - Nov 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Ah, thanks. If he really were to…put BJ on smash for a min (did I do it right?) it might not be that wise to proclaim it on public social media.

17. jbeagles23 - Nov 14, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Those two are both dumb. Guaranteed to be broke once their playing days are over. There should be a test to play pro sports

• kb2408 - Nov 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Since you can see in the future tell me what the mega millions will be next week.

18. rdav29 - Nov 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Excuse me stewardess I speak jive

• mortalkondek - Nov 14, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Hero post right here

• eugenesaxe1 - Nov 14, 2013 at 6:10 PM

You win all the interwebs for the week.

19. metrocritical - Nov 14, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I have a better idea for Brandon: Start passing the ball and play some defense.

20. kb2408 - Nov 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM

B. Jennings is vastly overrated. He better be gone by the all star break. If not, the Pistons are risking this dude’s bad attitude rubbing off on Drummond and the other youngsters. He is a cancer.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches