Nov 13, 2013, 7:19 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than we love reheated pizza for breakfast…
• If you read one thing today, it should be Howard Beck’s interview at Bleacher Report with Dr. J about his very honest, forthcoming new autobiography.
• The NBA and its players union have donated $250,000 toward UNICEF’s relief efforts in the Philippines, helping people whose lives were turned upside down by Typhoon Haiyan.
• The Phoenix Suns couldn’t reach a deal on a contract extension for Eric Bledsoe, which means next summer the market gets to set his price (the Suns have the right to match). With is fast start this season, Bledsoe is earning himself a lot of money. A lot.
• The NBA is in negotiations with the Silna family to end it getting a share of NBA television revenues. If you don’t know the story, the Silna brothers owned the Spirit of St. Louis ABA team and agreed to fold their squad when the NBA and ABA merged, but they wanted a small share of the NBA’s national broadcast revenue (1/7th of the money from the four ABA teams headed to the NBA). At the time in 1976 that was nothing at all and so they got it in perpetuity. Since then sports broadcast rights in general and the NBA in particular have skyrocketed. This result is an estimated $300 million paid to the family in the last three plus decades, including $19 million last season. And a judge now said that Internet revenue should count in that stream. So the league has motivation to settle the deal, but why would the Silna family?
• Here are pictures of Michael Jordan playing beer pong.
• I’m going to miss hoopdata, it was a fantastic site. Joe Treutlein and everyone involved really broke ground.
• Indiana State University unveiled a Larry Bird Statue. My only question is why did it take so long?
• NBA television ratings for the first week of this season in games broadcast on national cable networks was up 8% compared to the same time period last year.
• Houston sent Isaiah Canaan to the D-League’s Rio Grande Valley Vipers.
• Finally, not even the guy with the mop can escape the wrath of Joey Crawford.
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 19
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 43
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 18