Nov 13, 2013, 7:19 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than we love reheated pizza for breakfast…
• If you read one thing today, it should be Howard Beck’s interview at Bleacher Report with Dr. J about his very honest, forthcoming new autobiography.
• The NBA and its players union have donated $250,000 toward UNICEF’s relief efforts in the Philippines, helping people whose lives were turned upside down by Typhoon Haiyan.
• The Phoenix Suns couldn’t reach a deal on a contract extension for Eric Bledsoe, which means next summer the market gets to set his price (the Suns have the right to match). With is fast start this season, Bledsoe is earning himself a lot of money. A lot.
• The NBA is in negotiations with the Silna family to end it getting a share of NBA television revenues. If you don’t know the story, the Silna brothers owned the Spirit of St. Louis ABA team and agreed to fold their squad when the NBA and ABA merged, but they wanted a small share of the NBA’s national broadcast revenue (1/7th of the money from the four ABA teams headed to the NBA). At the time in 1976 that was nothing at all and so they got it in perpetuity. Since then sports broadcast rights in general and the NBA in particular have skyrocketed. This result is an estimated $300 million paid to the family in the last three plus decades, including $19 million last season. And a judge now said that Internet revenue should count in that stream. So the league has motivation to settle the deal, but why would the Silna family?
• Here are pictures of Michael Jordan playing beer pong.
• I’m going to miss hoopdata, it was a fantastic site. Joe Treutlein and everyone involved really broke ground.
• Indiana State University unveiled a Larry Bird Statue. My only question is why did it take so long?
• NBA television ratings for the first week of this season in games broadcast on national cable networks was up 8% compared to the same time period last year.
• Houston sent Isaiah Canaan to the D-League’s Rio Grande Valley Vipers.
• Finally, not even the guy with the mop can escape the wrath of Joey Crawford.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 21
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29