Nov 13, 2013, 1:59 PM EDT
The back/root nerve problem that has Steve Nash sidelined the next two weeks at least (expect longer) is the same one that had him out during the playoffs last year and really stems back to the broken leg and nerve issue he suffered at the start of last season. Just talking to him you can see how deflated he is that this injury has been so difficult to get beyond.
Some Lakers fans, seeing little productivity and $9.7 million on the books next season for him, want to see Steve Nash retire.
“There’s always going to be a debate but we’re not going to debate it, talk about it,” Lakers Coach Mike D’Antoni said Tuesday. “He’s going to try to get ready, he’s going to try to play and we’re going to try to win. It’s really simple for us. It’s not real difficult.”
While there is the possibility of a “medical retirement” that would wipe Nash off the books for next season the odds are long — the Lakers team doctor has to declare him medically unfit to play, the league doctor has to verify those findings and he can’t play in more than 10 games this season (he’s already been in six). The league grants these very infrequently.
Nash could retire, but again he has said he has no plans to do that yet. This is not how he wants to leave the game. Both the Lakers and Nash are trying to get him healthy and back on the court, not push him out the door.
D’Antoni wants Nash back on the court.
“Steve will just have to get back as soon as he can and then we’ll see where we are,” D’Antoni said.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 0
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 0
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 24
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 6
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 7
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15