Nov 13, 2013, 4:47 AM EDT
Our grades from Monday around the NBA, or what you missed while wearing your $550 sweatpants….
Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks. The big German with the soft touch reached an NBA milestone Tuesday — he passed Jerry West to move into 16th on the NBA’s all-time scoring list. Appropriately he did it with a couple consecutive threes as Dallas was beating Washington. Nowitzki now has 25,197 points after his 19 in the win and at his current pace he could get all the way up to number 10 or 11 this season. Nowitzki is simply the best European player ever in the NBA and a guy who explodes myths — he may be a seven-footer who likes to shoot threes but go ahead and tell me again how he’s soft.
Michael Beasley, Miami Heat. That he is putting up numbers — 19 points on Tuesday against the Bucks — is not the surprise, it’s the fact that he has been efficient doing it that is the new wrinkle. Known as a gunner up to now, he is shooting 65.2 percent on the season, and he has done it by shooting 7-of-8 in the restricted area and 4-of-6 from three. We’re just eight games into the season, but if he can keep this up he becomes a very valuable weapon for Miami when the games really matter.
Los Angeles Lakers bench. In the Lakers four wins this season the bench has scored 76, 48, 54 and Tuesday night 56 points. They outscored the starters in two of those games and in all of the wins the play off the bench from guys such as Nick Young (17 points Tuesday) and Xavier Henry (15) has been key. These guys along with Jordan Farmar are thriving in Mike D’Antoni’s more free flowing system and the nights they are putting it all together is what is keeping the Lakers close to .500 (4-5) without Kobe Bryant or Steve Nash.
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 3
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 5
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 9
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 7
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 5
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 35
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 84
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 20