Nov 13, 2013, 4:47 AM EST
Our grades from Monday around the NBA, or what you missed while wearing your $550 sweatpants….
Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks. The big German with the soft touch reached an NBA milestone Tuesday — he passed Jerry West to move into 16th on the NBA’s all-time scoring list. Appropriately he did it with a couple consecutive threes as Dallas was beating Washington. Nowitzki now has 25,197 points after his 19 in the win and at his current pace he could get all the way up to number 10 or 11 this season. Nowitzki is simply the best European player ever in the NBA and a guy who explodes myths — he may be a seven-footer who likes to shoot threes but go ahead and tell me again how he’s soft.
Michael Beasley, Miami Heat. That he is putting up numbers — 19 points on Tuesday against the Bucks — is not the surprise, it’s the fact that he has been efficient doing it that is the new wrinkle. Known as a gunner up to now, he is shooting 65.2 percent on the season, and he has done it by shooting 7-of-8 in the restricted area and 4-of-6 from three. We’re just eight games into the season, but if he can keep this up he becomes a very valuable weapon for Miami when the games really matter.
Los Angeles Lakers bench. In the Lakers four wins this season the bench has scored 76, 48, 54 and Tuesday night 56 points. They outscored the starters in two of those games and in all of the wins the play off the bench from guys such as Nick Young (17 points Tuesday) and Xavier Henry (15) has been key. These guys along with Jordan Farmar are thriving in Mike D’Antoni’s more free flowing system and the nights they are putting it all together is what is keeping the Lakers close to .500 (4-5) without Kobe Bryant or Steve Nash.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 32
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 30
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 36
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 10