Nov 13, 2013, 12:13 PM EDT
When Pablo Prigioni has been on the court this season, the Knicks have been 8.9 points per 100 possessions better.
So he’s getting benched.
Looking to put some spark in an offense that is 25th in the league so far this season (using points per possession), Knicks coach Mike Woodson said he is putting J.R. Smith into the starting lineup Wednesday in Atlanta, reports Al Iannazzone of Newsday on twitter. That means Prigioni is going to the bench.
Smith will be in his second game back after off-season knee surgery that kept him out of camp followed by a five-game drug suspension that had him on the bench to start the season. In his first game, Smith was 1-of-9 from the field and looked rusty.
However, Woodson has to do something to spark the offense because with Tyson Chandler out for a month or more their defense isn’t going to win them games.
Prigioni has been solid for the Knicks this season (as he was last season) but their offense does drop 2.9 points per 100 when he comes on the court (it’s early and who he shared some of those minutes with certainly had an impact on that number). Their defense has been much better with him out there, but to make the defense better the Knicks really need a healthy Kevin Martin.
K-Mart will play against the Hawks (Andrea Bargnani will still start at center) and Woodson said he hopes to have him available Thursday as well.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 25
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18