James Harden plans to appeal league’s flopping fine

Nov 13, 2013, 11:28 AM EST

Houston’s James Harden became the first player in the NBA fined for flopping this year. It took all of just 7 games for him to get nailed twice (the first time was just a warning by the league, the second flop comes with a $5,000 slap on the wrist).

Harden wants you to know he’s no flopper — and he’s appealing the league’s fine, he told CSNHouston.com’s John Kelly.

“The first one, I really did get hit in the face,” Harden said. “I’m trying to appeal that right now. I really did get hit in the face, it was just a late reaction….

“I don’t want to be known as a flopper or a guy who is looking to get calls, that type of player,” Harden said. “That type of player I’ve never been. It was a bad call.”

Okay, let’s go to the tape.

Unfortunately there is not good video of the first flop Harden refers to, the one he is trying to appeal. Here is the best we could find. Still, it looks like a flop to me — he really sells the contact.

The second one — the one for which he was fined — is a pretty clear-cut flop.

I doubt this appeal works.

And sorry James, but whether you want to or not you’re gaining a reputation as a flopper.

1. peterjohnjoseph - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM

So his argument is that even though he was warned not to flop, but still went ahead and flopped anyway, that he should be given a mulligan because he was warned for something that just happen to look like a flop…

Thats like saying “I know you warned me not to drink and drive officer, and the next time I did you were arresting me no matter what, but the truth is, I was just playing drunk the first time.. So really, this is the first time I’ve actually been drunk behind the wheel. So that makes the original warning null and void now, right?”

He was warned based on the idea that he shouldn’t do it. It doesn’t matter if you did or didn’t the first time. They thought you did, warned you, and you STILL DID IT. Really? REALLY? You know there are cameras at your games right? Holy hell this pisses me off.

2. misremembered72 - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM

This really pisses me off. I hope they make an example of Harden at some point and suspend him a game because he’s going to keep flopping and pretending that he isn’t doing anything wrong

3. glenuendo - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM

OK. That first video reminded me of those professional wrestlers that appear to get the living daylights beaten out of them only to somehow make a comeback and win the match. Freaking ridiculous!!!

He still should lose that appeal.

4. belleby123 - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Ironically, his appeal will be a flop.

5. Mr. Wright 212 - Nov 13, 2013 at 1:30 PM

The nerve of this guy. He flops on offense and on defense, and now on nearly every play.

6. limonadamas - Nov 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM

So.. he’s concerned that he might “become known as a flopper”?

There’s a way to remedy that. I don’t know… maybe STOP FLOPPING?

7. leoimpr - Nov 13, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Harden was trained at OKC, Westbrook and Durant are two known floppers.

8. jaxandsky - Nov 13, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Look at every player that averages over 10 free throws a night and tell me they don’t flop

9. zerole00 - Nov 13, 2013 at 5:03 PM

The first one looks like a flop too, I was looking for face-to-hand contact and even if that’s what happened it couldn’t have been more than a pat. You’d think he was hit in the face with a bat with his behavior on the floor.

The second one was just an embarrassment to professional basketball as a whole.

10. jhuck92 - Nov 13, 2013 at 5:13 PM

It’s like A-Rod appealing his season-long ban for steroids. Just be a man and admit you did wrong.

11. mackcarrington - Nov 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I know I’m in the minority on this, but I always thought he overplayed the World Peace elbow to the head.
    I remember when he came out after halftime, walked half-way out of the tunnel, and then turned around and went back into the locker room. I thought that he tried to make it look worse than it was. He was known as a flopper before that incident.

• Anoesis - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:34 AM

To be fair that was still a pretty nasty shot.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches