Nov 12, 2013, 2:12 AM EDT
Our grades from Monday around the NBA, or what you missed while weeping that Lionel Messi will be out 6-8 weeks….
Lance Stephenson, Indiana Pacers. He had a triple-double with 13 points, 12 assists and 11 rebounds. He has played the most complete, efficient basketball of his young NBA career this season and it showed in this game (and is another reason the Pacers are 8-0). He was a playmaker, he cleaned the glass and he got points. He even picked up the most ridiculous technical foul of the season. The way he is playing, Danny Granger becomes an expensive sixth man when he returns.
Derrick Rose and Kyrie Irving. Meh. We were hoping for a showdown between two of the best young point guards in the game and we got nothing inspiring. Both had 16 points on the night, but it took Irving 19 shots to get there and Rose 21. Irving did have a dozen of his in the fourth quarter trying to keep it interesting, but by that point we were all watching Mike Dunleavy. That was a let down.
Andre Miller, Denver Nuggets. He is not the best player in the Mile High City (that honor goes to Ty Lawson) but he is the most savvy. He scored 9 of his 15 points in the fourth quarter when Denver went on a 21-5 run to pull away with this one. He picked apart the Utah defense, he put on a clinic on how to play point in the NBA. I hope Trey Burke was on the Utah bench, watching.
Rudy Gay, Toronto Raptors. He messed 26 shots in one game. Gay put up 29 points on 11-of-37 shooting — that is 29.7 percent shooting. That is the definition of black hole. It is worse than his 35.6 percent shooting on the season. Some will say that he scored 29 and he did hit the three that sent the game to overtime (which is why he doesn’t have a lower grade), but if he and DeMar DeRozan hadn’t combined to shoot 17-of-62 Toronto would have won in regulation.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 15
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 13
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 16
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 23
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80