Nov 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
You had to know it was only a matter of time before Chris Paul got a flopping warning, the only question was when.
How about eight games?
Tuesday the league announced warnings for both the Clippers Paul and Anderson Varejao of the Cavaliers. These are the first offense this season warnings for the players, the second offense comes with a fine of $5,000 (James Harden got one Monday) and the fines climb slowly from there. No, that’s not much of a disincentive to flop, which is why you continue to see it.
Paul’s flop came Monday night against the Timberwolves in the third quarter (you can see the video on NBA.com). Blake Griffin had the ball at the elbow extended and wanted to get the ball to Paul down closer to the block but Ricky Rubio was fronting the pass. There was some light bumping going on then when Griffin made the pass Paul flops to the ground rather than make a play on the ball. It was a clear flop, it also worked — Rubio was whistled for the foul.
Varejao’s flop came Saturday night against Philadelphia (see the video here). In the first quarter Varejao was fighting for rebounding position with Lavoy Allen when Philly’s Thaddeus Young took a shot. Varejao had earned inside position and got a little push in the back, and Varejao shot forward on that like he was hit by a linebacker. The refs made the right move here by just ignoring it.
Expect Paul to get a fine this season, maybe a few. He’s one of the league’s more notorious floppers. And this slap on the wrist fines aren’t going to stop him if he thinks he can get an advantage for his team.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8