Kevin Love chooses not to answer a reporter’s non-question (VIDEO)

Nov 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST

The postgame interview session can often be tedious for star players, especially coming after a close loss when they’re not really in the mood to deal with any nonsense.

After the Timberwolves dropped a close one to the Clippers on Monday, Kevin Love found himself in this familiar situation.

Many times and for various reasons, reporters won’t pose an actual question to a player — they’ll ask them to “talk about” something that happened during the game (usually to fill in a quote for an already-written column or game story), or they’ll simply utter a statement about something that happened hoping to get the player to be more conversational in giving their response.

Plenty of players have cliches for days ready for these situations, but Love is usually pretty good in terms of giving thoughtful responses to postgame questions. So the fact that he chose not to respond to a statement before reasonably declaring, “That wasn’t a question” is more an indication of his willingness to engage, rather than him being intentionally obstinate.

1. gquesen - Nov 12, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Some might see his response as just another jerk pro athlete. I thought his reaction was pretty funny. It was a pretty stupid statement.

• antistratfordian - Nov 12, 2013 at 9:48 PM

A consistent criticism I’ve heard of Love is that he is a jerk – like what user kinggw said three days ago on another Love article: “It also doesn’t help that he doesn’t play defense and at times comes off as a jerk.”

I don’t know where that comes from, but I’ve seen it around for a while. In any case, I think his non response here is a non issue.

2. fearthehoody - Nov 12, 2013 at 10:25 PM

UCLA! University of Champions!

3. roanboon - Nov 13, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Reporters are trying to make money and make a name for themselves; they are not a charity.

4. doorharp11 - Nov 13, 2013 at 6:53 AM

these reporters are as bad as the bottom feeding fans that wish klove was on their team. dont listen to this crap klove loves playing with the twolves and you can see it in his play. the perception of klove is solely on the media he is a nice guy who plays hard, loves his city, and contributes a lot of money to charity. ignorant reporting feeds into ignorant fans.

5. horpythemad - Nov 13, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I think the reporter said:

“You were able to box out there on that last sequence at least twice getting at least two offensive rebounds.”

I don’t know what he would expect as a response. “Yes, I did?” I think I would’ve responded the same exact way Love did.

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches