Glen Davis apologizes for meltdown at Florida hotel

Nov 12, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT

Glen Davis AP

As a general rule of thumb for NBA players, if you end up on TMZ with a headline that involves the word “meltdown” you screwed up.

Glen Davis of the Orlando Magic screwed up Friday night after the Magic lost to the Celtics. Big Baby, who has been out all season with a foot injury, tried to get a hotel room and… we’ll let TMZ tell the story.

It all went down early Saturday morning at a Travelodge in Orlando, FL — when the 27-year-old tried to book a room with the front desk and was told the place was sold out.

Glen — clearly frustrated — reached over the front desk and grabbed a keyboard, which he proceeded to rip from the front desk computer and throw across the lobby. Davis then stormed out of the motel in anger.

Of course there is video of the tantrum (I’m not running it, look it up for yourself). The police were called and while a report was filed there was no arrest or charges.

On Tuesday, Davis took to twitter to apologize.

My thought: Travelodge? He’s making $6.4 million this season. Maybe I’m missing something but… Travelodge?

1. spursareold - Nov 12, 2013 at 4:13 PM

“Travelodge? He’s making $6.4 million this season. Maybe I’m missing something but… Travelodge?”

He probably recognizes that this is his last contract that’s better than fractional MLE or minimum. I’m guessing Kendrick Perkins should be cutting back on his expenditures, too.

2. lalifer - Nov 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Maybe he was inspired by Metta taking the subway.

3. fatcamper - Nov 12, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I’ve regretfully told off many a cashier. From time to time, we all blow off some steam and act like a “Big Baby.” Thankfully, he wasn’t trying to hurt anybody or do anything too stupid.

If Travelodge marketing is up to the task, maybe they can run a “Glen Davis doesn’t like staying anywhere but Travelodge” online ad-campaign. Capitalize on an innocent ugly incident.

• Anoesis - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:20 AM

And Davis should let them use his name/likeness for free.

4. chargerdillon - Nov 12, 2013 at 4:34 PM

He aint called Big Baby for nothing

5. mrlaloosh - Nov 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Motel 6 musta been full.

6. skiwhistler - Nov 12, 2013 at 5:11 PM

yeah apologises to the fans, what about the hotel staff?

7. henryjones20 - Nov 12, 2013 at 5:23 PM

if I’m the guy at the front desk I fall backwards as I’m fearing for my like and “injure” my back during my nasty fall.then big baby will drive the bigger baby to the car dealer where he will buy me my new car.

• raidmagic - Nov 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Yep typical wanting something for nothing

8. titansbro - Nov 12, 2013 at 5:34 PM

He was trying to bang some rando & no matter how much $ you got, randos just ain’t worth a suite at the hilton. You travelodge them betties cause you’re only there like 2 hrs tops.

9. scbaby2013 - Nov 12, 2013 at 6:44 PM

^ rando…bwahahaha

10. chiadam - Nov 12, 2013 at 6:51 PM

My first thought was also “Travelodge,” followed quickly by “wait, doesn’t he live in Orlando?”

11. 407magic - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Not to defend him but that travelodge is in downtown Orlando. In the video he was obviously under the influence, he stumbled away. (Video was played all over the news in central Florida)

What probably happened was after the game he went out for drinks around downtown, got too drunk to drive and wanted a room to crash. He was trying to do the right thing but ended it with an epic fail lol

12. Tim's Neighbor - Nov 13, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Some if this sadly goes to the daft that these dudes have never had to do these things for themselves. In high school, shady AAU coaches their parents did it. In college, the schools did. In the pros, the teams do it. It seems weird a 27 yearbooks man couldn’t properly reserve a room, but it’s plausible when you look at it in the light if an athlete.

13. cornbreadbbqred - Nov 13, 2013 at 5:18 AM

If you ask me, he obviously had some fresh booty on the line, probably some young thing sitting in his car in the parking area waiting on the cue, and blew his top when there were no vacancies because he could not wait to be great!

You darn should better apologize, you knucklehead, and lucky you didn’t get arrested!

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches