Nov 11, 2013, 8:54 PM EDT
It was obvious Steve Nash‘s nerve issues in his back were serious Sunday night. You could tell by how he limped and grimaced on the court. And you could tell by his deflated demeanor after the game in which he only played 13 minutes.
Tuesday he went and saw a specialist and he will be out at least two weeks — and that’s at a minimum, the team announced. Here is what the Lakers officially released on Monday night.
“Los Angeles Lakers guard Steve Nash was examined today by back specialist Dr. Robert Watkins, who diagnosed Nash as having nerve root irritation. Treatment will include an epidural block, which Nash is expected to receive tomorrow, and Nash is expected to be out of action for a minimum of two weeks. He will be re-evaluated in approximately ten days, and an update will be given at that time.”
Don’t be shocked if this is more than two weeks.
This is the same nerve issue that kept Nash out during the end of the regular season and the playoffs, a nerve in his back with pain that radiates down into the leg he broke last season. The epidural being given here will help mask the pain but does not necessarily get at the root cause, that will come with treatment.
Nash was very frustrated Sunday night with the inability to get past this injury.
“It’s tough. I shouldn’t even really talk about it, it’s emotional,” Nash said after the Lakers were blown out by the Timberwolves. “It’s hard, I really want to play and play the way I’m accustomed to playing, and to be so limited is frustrating. And to not know where a cleanish bill of health is, is a little daunting, too.”
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9