Nov 11, 2013, 1:05 AM EDT
LOS ANGELES — You could tell how serious Steve Nash seems to think his back/nerve issue is by his demeanor after the game. Speaking with the media in the hallway he was quiet and appeared deflated. He described himself as emotional and said this was hard to talk about.
Nash played just 13 minutes and was limping around Sunday night during the Lakers blowout loss to the Timberwolves. There was no blow or play that caused this, it was there all game and it is tied to the nerve issue in his back that radiates down his leg to his hamstring, something that has been an issue since the first day of camp. It bothered him so much Sunday Nash wasn’t even on the bench in the second half.
Monday he said will see a specialist as they try to come up with a course of action and see how fast they can get him back playing with the Lakers. Nash said he had no idea when that would be but his body language suggested it could be a while.
“It’s just been coming on, my back and my hamstring and the nerve has been bothering me for a while now,” Nash said. “Tonight I started limping and that was it.”
Nash felt he couldn’t be effective as he was trying get off his left leg as much as he could.
“Mike took me out (early in the second quarter), I should have come out in the first quarter,” Nash said. “Today was a bad day on the way to the game, so it was just a struggle today.”
“I’m concerned,” Mike D’Antoni said. “He was struggling physically tonight, you could just see it on his face and that’s why I took him out.”
Nash was dejected, hesitant to even talk about the situation.
“It’s tough…” Nash said. “It’s hard, I really want to play and play the way I’m accustomed to playing, and to be so limited is frustrating. And to not know where a cleanish bill of health is, is a little daunting, too.”
It’s daunting for a 3-5 Lakers team that was counting on Steve Nash to create shots for others this season, especially with Kobe Bryant still out. It could be a while before he does that again.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 0
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 12
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 21
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29