Nov 11, 2013, 7:06 PM EDT
Gregg Popovich has learned his lesson — there will be a “medical reason” Tim Duncan has to sit out Monday night when the San Antonio Spurs take on the Philadelphia 76ers.
But we all know the real reason is this is the Spurs fifth game in seven days and it is never too early for Popovich to start resting his players. Jim McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News broke the story.
Boris Diaw will start in his place.
Last year Popovich got the Spurs fined $250,000 for sending Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili all home before a nationally televised game against the Heat to get his stars rest. The result around the league is teams just making up an injury or going with a “DNP-Coach’s Decision” when they want to rest guys. Nobody wants to pay another fine.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $20,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday, Nov. 11th games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $3,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the link.
Dwyane Wade has sat out a game to rest, now Duncan has and there will be a lot more guys getting nights off over the course of a long NBA season.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 36
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85