Nov 11, 2013, 7:06 PM EDT
Gregg Popovich has learned his lesson — there will be a “medical reason” Tim Duncan has to sit out Monday night when the San Antonio Spurs take on the Philadelphia 76ers.
But we all know the real reason is this is the Spurs fifth game in seven days and it is never too early for Popovich to start resting his players. Jim McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News broke the story.
Boris Diaw will start in his place.
Last year Popovich got the Spurs fined $250,000 for sending Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili all home before a nationally televised game against the Heat to get his stars rest. The result around the league is teams just making up an injury or going with a “DNP-Coach’s Decision” when they want to rest guys. Nobody wants to pay another fine.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $20,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday, Nov. 11th games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $3,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the link.
Dwyane Wade has sat out a game to rest, now Duncan has and there will be a lot more guys getting nights off over the course of a long NBA season.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 27
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 17
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15