Nov 11, 2013, 7:06 PM EST
Gregg Popovich has learned his lesson — there will be a “medical reason” Tim Duncan has to sit out Monday night when the San Antonio Spurs take on the Philadelphia 76ers.
But we all know the real reason is this is the Spurs fifth game in seven days and it is never too early for Popovich to start resting his players. Jim McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News broke the story.
Boris Diaw will start in his place.
Last year Popovich got the Spurs fined $250,000 for sending Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili all home before a nationally televised game against the Heat to get his stars rest. The result around the league is teams just making up an injury or going with a “DNP-Coach’s Decision” when they want to rest guys. Nobody wants to pay another fine.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $20,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday, Nov. 11th games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $3,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the link.
Dwyane Wade has sat out a game to rest, now Duncan has and there will be a lot more guys getting nights off over the course of a long NBA season.
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 6
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 8
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 44
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 15
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12
- Report: Lakers expect Kobe Bryant to miss rest of season 19