Nov 11, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Congratulations James Harden, you have become the first player fined by the NBA for flopping this season.
Harden had been warned before this season, then on Saturday against the Clippers the flop above happened. And it was a flop. Harden drove the lane, missed the shot, got his own rebound as he faced the baseline behind the basket, Blake Griffin came up close to defend him and Harden fell like he got a two-hand shove to the back. It worked, he got the call.
The fine is $5,000. As David Stern himself noted last season, that amount is too small to have much of an impact but the owners didn’t want to raise the amount. So don’t expect this to have much impact. Note here that in the game Harden got the call and so long as players think they can influence games they will sell and exaggerate calls. Unless you make the penalty so onerous they have to stop.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 40
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73