Nov 11, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Congratulations James Harden, you have become the first player fined by the NBA for flopping this season.
Harden had been warned before this season, then on Saturday against the Clippers the flop above happened. And it was a flop. Harden drove the lane, missed the shot, got his own rebound as he faced the baseline behind the basket, Blake Griffin came up close to defend him and Harden fell like he got a two-hand shove to the back. It worked, he got the call.
The fine is $5,000. As David Stern himself noted last season, that amount is too small to have much of an impact but the owners didn’t want to raise the amount. So don’t expect this to have much impact. Note here that in the game Harden got the call and so long as players think they can influence games they will sell and exaggerate calls. Unless you make the penalty so onerous they have to stop.
- PBT Extra: How ’bout them Wizards? 3
- Phil Jackson wants Carmelo Anthony to take less money to re-sign with Knicks 37
- Report: Frank Vogel “coaching for his job” in wake of team’s slide 16
- Phoenix’s Goran Dragic runs away with Most Improved Player 13
- Report: James Dolan meddles into Phil Jackson’s attempts to fire Knicks employees 52