Nov 11, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Congratulations James Harden, you have become the first player fined by the NBA for flopping this season.
Harden had been warned before this season, then on Saturday against the Clippers the flop above happened. And it was a flop. Harden drove the lane, missed the shot, got his own rebound as he faced the baseline behind the basket, Blake Griffin came up close to defend him and Harden fell like he got a two-hand shove to the back. It worked, he got the call.
The fine is $5,000. As David Stern himself noted last season, that amount is too small to have much of an impact but the owners didn’t want to raise the amount. So don’t expect this to have much impact. Note here that in the game Harden got the call and so long as players think they can influence games they will sell and exaggerate calls. Unless you make the penalty so onerous they have to stop.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65