Nov 11, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
Carlos Delfino had foot surgery back in May (he injured it during the Rockets’ playoff series and was expected to miss 4-6 months). However, the Bucks signed him over the summer and the original prognosis made you think he would be suiting up for Milwaukee by training camp. Then that got pushed back to the start of the season or a little later.
Now it may be the entire season due to a second surgery that is required.
Delfino and Bucks team physician Michael Gordon traveled to North Carolina last week to consult with specialists about the injury. And it was determined Delfino will need another surgery to repair a fracture in his right foot, with recovery time estimated at four to six months.
“I’m frustrated because I did all the recovery work but my body did not respond as expected,” Delfino said on his website in remarks translated from Spanish. “I’m still optimistic.
“Now I have to be calm and open to the decision of the professional who can help me in the recovery of my injury. This is worse than I expected but I am sure that I will return to the court.”
The Bucks signed Delfino to a two-year, $6.5 million deal this past summer.
When they realized Delfino could be delayed in his return the Bucks signed Caron Butler to a contract and he has been the starting small forward averaging 12.6 points a game but shooting just 36.8 percent so far.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $20,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday, Nov. 11th games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $3,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the link.
Delfino is a solid NBA rotation player (he averaged 10.6 points a game for the Rockets last season) and a guy the Bucks could really use to provide more depth. But it looks like that is going to have to wait until next season now. In the short term it means more Khris Middleton and maybe rookie Giannis Antetokounmpo.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 14
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8