Nov 10, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Three days after admitting himself to the hospital and ending up needing a couple stents in his arteries, Steve Clifford is back coaching the Bobcats and will be on the bench Monday.
Clifford sounded like a guy just happy things were not a lot worse, speaking with Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer.
“I was lucky. It was a warning sign and I’ve since been educated that a lot of people who have strokes or heart attacks don’t get warning signs,” Clifford said. “Also fortunate I had great doctors. They have a good plan for me, and I’m going to follow it and get better quickly.”
I’m not sure the stress of an NBA coaching job exactly helps one’s blood pressure, but at least he is aware and can take steps to stay healthy.
The Bobcats are off to a surprising 3-3 start, that despite a terrible first couple weeks on offense without Al Jefferson. That may change on Monday as well — Jefferson is listed as questionable but could play. He rushed to be ready to go opening night but re-injured his ankle and has been out the last five games.
“Now it’s all up to coach,” Jefferson said on whether he’ll play. “I think I proved I can go, but it’s not about one game and relapsing. I think I’m in a better position that I was.’’
Don’t be surprised if the Bobcats are cautious with Jefferson’s return.
Despite the offensive woes the Bobcats are 3-3 thanks to a defense that is about the league average (and they got a little lucky). That’s a foundation maybe the Bobcats can build on going forward.
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 29
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 61
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 9
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 32
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 75