Nov 8, 2013, 3:42 AM EDT
Our grades from Thursday night around the NBA, or what you missed while playing Call of Duty Ghosts like everyone else….
Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat. For two straight games now we have had vintage Wade show up, which has to make Heat fans happy. He was attacking J.J. Redick on post ups or blowing past him to get to the rim where he finished well. Wade ended up with 29 points on 13-of-22 shooting, plus 7 assists. He keyed the third quarter run (while LeBron and Chis Bosh rested) that got Miami the win.
Clippers defense. The only reason this grade isn’t lower is because while the 109.1 points per possession surrendered in this game is unimpressive, it is actually better than they had done through their previous five games. Their defensive rotations were terrible and that left driving lanes open for the Heat all game. The Clippers and Doc Rivers have 76 games left to figure out how to play cohesive team defense if they have plans of getting past the first round.
Los Angeles Lakers bench. The Lakers got 54 of their 99 points from their bench. Jodie Meeks was 5-of-7 from three on his way to 18 points. Wesley Johnson had 16, and Jordan Farmar had 11. When the bench for the Lakers has stepped up they have two nice wins (the Clippers and now Rockets). At the start of the season I never would have expected to have given the Lakers’ bench this kind of grade.
Ty Lawson, Denver Nuggets. He had 10 of his 25 points in the final quarter to lead the Nuggets to their first win of the season, a 109-107 win over the Hawks. Lawson also pitched in with eight assists, and seven rebounds. You can make a case that the Nuggets bench really should be here, but they don’t get the chance without the big line from Lawson
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 43
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 55
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 10