Nov 8, 2013, 4:38 PM EDT
We here at PBT don’t believe in “days off” or “sleep” or any of the rest of that pansy stuff — we will be here all weekend giving you NBA content. Still, we want to give you some NBA storylines to watch over the weekend as you bounce between your regular Saturday pickup game and getting to the bar to watch the Notre Dame game.
1) Can Pacers stay unbeaten? The Pacers are the one remaining undefeated team in the NBA and are feeling good about themselves — but they have a tough back-to-back this weekend. Friday night they host Toronto — a team that has a center in Jonas Valanciunas that can test Roy Hibbert in the paint, plus they have scorers like Rudy Gay and DeMar DeRozan who can get hot. Take them for granted and the Rockets can sneak up on you and beat you.
Why would the Pacers look past the Raptors? Because Saturday night they play in Brooklyn. The Nets are another team with a quality center in Brook Lopez and plenty of quality players like Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and so on. While the Nets are still finding themselves they are capable of great games and they have moved the ball well on offense, which will test the tired legs of the Pacers that second night of a back-to-back.
2) How will the Knicks look without Tyson Chandler? The Knicks are already 1-3, having to have team meetings and now have lost center and defensive anchor Tyson Chandler for at least a month. The Knicks offense has been stagnant and unimpressive so far and with Chandler gone the defense isn’t going to bail it out anymore (the Knicks have been almost 15 points per 100 possessions worse on D with Chandler off the court). The Knicks have the second game of their home-and-home with Charlotte Friday — and Charlotte won the front end of that in Madison Square Garden. If the Knicks are going to get a win it’s probably that game because the machine that is the Spurs rolls into New York on Sunday. That’s a tough matchup for New York.
3) A Clippers/Rockets rematch Saturday night. Before the season started the Clippers and Rockets were thought of as potential contenders out of the West — and they both are, we’re not even two weeks into the season and teams will evolve and change over the course of the next six months. But the first couple weeks have exposed flaws in both these teams defensively — and Monday night the Clippers completely exposed the Rockets deficiencies bare in a 137-118 win. The Rockets perimeter defense is bad, particularly that of James Harden, so the Clippers ran his man J.J. Redick off a lot of picks, which Harden didn’t even try to fight through. Redick had 15 first quarter points and the Clippers were off to a big lead they never really surrendered.
The Rockets can play better, and it will be interesting to see what adjustments they make because the Clippers defense has been even worse this season. The Rockets put up points; they just couldn’t get stops Monday.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
They’re pretty sweet.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Sultan Kosem of Turkey is 8-foot-3.
Aug 27, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
As an NBA League Pass junkie I’ll tell you why I’m happy — she’s good.
Aug 27, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT
If you’re keeping score at home, there are two shattered backboards on the list.
Aug 27, 2015, 5:06 PM EDT
The Cavaliers need to be patient with him.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT
Chocolate Thunder remained an ambassador of the game.
Aug 27, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
He probably will land on a roster somewhere. Eventually.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
This is a blow to France, but they remain one of the deepest teams at EuroBasket and one of the favorites.
Aug 27, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT
Houston’s salary cap picture changed before the deal got inked.
Aug 27, 2015, 1:12 PM EDT
Gregg Popovich is considered the frontrunner.
Aug 27, 2015, 11:54 AM EDT
Stan Van Gundy wants to play Brandon Jennings and Stephen Jackson together at times.
Aug 27, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
The Bulls comment is basically “no comment.”
Aug 27, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
At this point in his career Davis is the “break glass in case of emergency” big.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Wiggins is playing well for Canada.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
LeBron turned a $4.4 million profit.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:58 AM EDT
There is no criminal report filed in this case. Rose nor his attorney have yet to comment on the report or suit.
Aug 26, 2015, 11:25 PM EDT
Was there ever a more Shakespearean NBA drama than Shaq/Kobe?
Aug 26, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
We’ve got video of Blake Griffin pretending to be in the Harlem Globetrotters.
Aug 26, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
D’Angelo, just text Kobe and say you want to work out with him, he’ll likely text back to come over right now.
Aug 26, 2015, 5:55 PM EDT
The questions about Miami’s front line are not about skill but health.
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 7
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 10
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 5
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 46
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7
- Report: Lakers considering bringing back Metta World Peace 33