Steve Nash to sit Friday, still says he plans to play this season and next

Nov 8, 2013, 6:28 PM EDT

Steve Nash AP

Steve Nash has outraced Father Time for years, but early this season he seems as if he might finally be getting passed.

Nash is meticulous and committed to taking care of his body, but the hours he puts in now are not leading to the same productivity on the court — he is averaging 7.6 points a game on 29.9 percent shooting (but he is still hitting 45.5 percent from three). His assist percentage is right where it has been for years, he’s just not as quick, not finishing quite as well.

Friday night when the Lakers take on the up-and-coming Pelicans Nash will have the night off, not playing the second night of a back-to-back.

But no, he’s not going to retire after this season.

Or at least that is not the plan, he intends to play out his contract this season and next, he told Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.

That’s about 18 months. So I’ve got to find a way to get through that and prove to myself every day that I can contribute.

Q: Do you envision any set of circumstances that would cause you to say, ‘You know what? Next season is not going to happen? I’m not going to be able to be the player I want to be?’

A: I don’t think so. I’m already not the player I want to be and just [have] a different body. My body’s different. I’m still trying to adjust and adapt and get my body to accept a certain amount of the pounding and forces and be able to adjust my game and still be productive. I still feel like I’ve got a lot of life left without basketball so I’m going to try to enjoy it and make the most of these last 18-20 months, whatever it is…..

Q: So in your mind, retirement is not a word that you …’

A: No. I’m not there yet. No.

Next summer Nash’s $9.7 million is the only major salary on the books (although the Lakers have to deal with the massive cap holds for Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol — those situations need to be resolved before they can make moves). There are a few Lakers fans who held out hope Nash could just hang up the sneakers and give the Lakers even more room to maneuver.

Not going to happen. You have another year of Nash, whatever the roster looks like.

1. antistratfordian - Nov 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM

The Lakers are going to be stuck in purgatory until Nash and Kobe decide it’s time to hang it up. Might be a few years from now. I feel for Lakers fans. I’m sure some of them just want to start rebuilding in earnest asap.

2. kb2408 - Nov 8, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Your trolling is reminiscent of another numbskull that used to post on this site. All he did was troll for LAKER stories. Just like you, he never posted anything of substance. As a matter of fact, ever since you started posting, he stopped. Hmmm…interesting? Anyway, on the topic of Nash, I really hate that the LAKERS couldn’t have gotten this dude say 5 years ago.

• Anoesis - Nov 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM

If he is Paulhargis53 he’s become much better spoken and seems to have completely lost his homophobia, sort of like I would envision PH53 after rehab (and shock therapy). anti might be a Laker troller, but he’s less bombastic. A little.

• 00maltliquor - Nov 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM

LOL, I honestly thought it was who you speak of when “anti” first hit the scene, just with a changed name. It took me a while to figure out it wasn’t really PH. This guy’s a Heat fan, I believe. But I know what you’re talking about. I’m still not 100% convinced though, lol!

• antistratfordian - Nov 9, 2013 at 3:23 AM

You can’t be talking about me. I don’t troll. Everything I post comes from a place of genuine concern.

I don’t know who it is you’re talking about, but there are a lot of people who don’t like the Lakers – I’m not one of them though.

3. Anoesis - Nov 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM

It’s early, Steve’s old and coming off a broken leg. As long as Farmar and Blake can contribute enough to keep Nash’s minutes down I think he’ll come around.

4. imthedudedude - Nov 8, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Wierd.. He leaves PHX and his body doesn’t start feeling quite the same…

5. kb2408 - Nov 8, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Nothing “weird” about an almost 40 yr old body breaking down. Where it began to happen is irrelavant.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches