Nov 8, 2013, 12:13 PM EDT
Greg Monroe is putting up numbers again — 17.3 points and 11 rebounds per game. He’s efficient doing that, as evidenced by a PER of 19.1 (a borderline All-Star kind of number).
Pistons coach Maurice Cheeks wants more — he wants a midrange jumper.
Monroe has taken 36 shots this season inside 8 feet (hitting 58.3 percent) and just 13 outside that range (hitting 23 percent). Which explains why Cheeks told the Detroit Free Press Monroe needs to develop more of a midrange game.
“I just told him today that if I was him, I’d practice that jump shot right at that left and right elbow,” Cheeks said. “I’d practice it 200, 300 times a day at that elbow spot. … Now he has to expand his game a little bit in making that jump shot at the left or right elbow. It opens up his game so much more. It makes it a little bit tougher.”
Monroe is 2-of-8 from the elbows this season, Vince Ellis at the Free Press says. Fits with the rest of his midrange game.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $25,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday, Nov. 8th games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $3,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the link.
Cheeks is right. Monroe is great at driving and finishing from the elbow, plus he is a fantastic passer for a big man, which makes him a great fit at the elbows in a “horns” set. But when he gets the rock there teams will just back off and dare him to knock it down. When he does, things will really open up.
Monroe says he’s comfortable with the shot and is working on it. Good. With Andre Drummond and Josh Smith in the frontcourt with him anything he can do to help create more space on the floor will help his cause considerably.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36