Nov 8, 2013, 3:47 PM EDT
No, this is not an excuse for how flat-footed and slow his defense has been this season.
However it appears James Harden is hurt — he is day-to-day with a bruised foot tweets Jonathan Feigen of the the Houston Chronicle. Those tend not to keep people out long if at all, and against the Lakers he certainly was aggressive and attacking when he had the ball.
The Rockets play the Clippers Saturday in a rematch of last Monday’s game where Harden was a defensive mess — he was assigned to J.J. Redick early and the Clippers ran Redick off screens like he was vintage Ray Allen. Harden didn’t even try to fight through them. Redick ended up with 15 points in the first quarter and 26 for the game as the Clippers cruised to a win.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $25,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday, Nov. 8th games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $3,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the link.
Harden’s defense has been pretty bad all season, and it’s something the Rockets have to fix if they are serious about contending. Right now he is just reaching, not moving his feet. On offense he looks fine, he’s attacking and making plays. But to really take this team where they want to go Harden has to be better at both ends.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 28
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 44
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4