Nov 8, 2013, 3:47 PM EDT
No, this is not an excuse for how flat-footed and slow his defense has been this season.
However it appears James Harden is hurt — he is day-to-day with a bruised foot tweets Jonathan Feigen of the the Houston Chronicle. Those tend not to keep people out long if at all, and against the Lakers he certainly was aggressive and attacking when he had the ball.
The Rockets play the Clippers Saturday in a rematch of last Monday’s game where Harden was a defensive mess — he was assigned to J.J. Redick early and the Clippers ran Redick off screens like he was vintage Ray Allen. Harden didn’t even try to fight through them. Redick ended up with 15 points in the first quarter and 26 for the game as the Clippers cruised to a win.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $25,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday, Nov. 8th games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $3,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the link.
Harden’s defense has been pretty bad all season, and it’s something the Rockets have to fix if they are serious about contending. Right now he is just reaching, not moving his feet. On offense he looks fine, he’s attacking and making plays. But to really take this team where they want to go Harden has to be better at both ends.
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 2
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 4
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 15
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7